Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide on my next tires! (Michelin Cross Climate, Sport Pilot AS, Continental ExtremeContact DWS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get what you're saying but here is how I think about range/efficiency :

Consider arriving at a ski resort with 30% battery remaining and the supercharger on the way home requires 25% charge to get to. That's not perfect but it is doable. But arriving with 20% remaining might I need to make an hour stop at a L2 charger in a remote town after skiing just so I can make it to the supercharger on the return trip.

Keep in mind that your driving behavior, chiefly speed, has a far larger impact on range.

Yes all things equal you want to tires that deliver more range. But if you dont trust the testing, or the testing shows incongruent results, and the apparent differences are minimal, easier to chalk it up to noise than to litigate what delivers marginally more performance.

Reactions: J-a-x
both the Cross Climate 2 and DWS06+ are excellent dry wet tests. but the CC2 are way better in snow test.

Cross Climate 2 dry wet

snow

DWS06+ dry wet

snow/ice

the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3 is about the same dry wet test. couldn't find anything on snow test. lowest price of the 3 if you're mainly worried about dry/wet like i am here in Houston.

Last edited:
Not on your list... But I love my Nokian WRG4! 3 Peak all weather rated. Proper weight and low rolling EV rated, Aramad sidewalls to avoid pothole blowouts and off road punctures. I love them, better then my Honda Elements BFG AT3's... Ok at least compatible.. especially for all weather tyres. They handle Canadian winters, even the slick black ice days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240303-093633.png
    Screenshot_20240303-093633.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20240303-093651.png
    Screenshot_20240303-093651.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: Skavatar
Not on your list... But I love my Nokian WRG4! 3 Peak all weather rated. Proper weight and low rolling EV rated, Aramad sidewalls to avoid pothole blowouts and off road punctures. I love them, better then my Honda Elements BFG AT3's... Ok at least compatible.. especially for all weather tyres. They handle Canadian winters, even the slick black ice days.
Are they quiet? My Hakka R3 SUVs are really loud.
These are being replaced by the WRG5 Remedy this month. So, I may consider that.

These are being replaced by the WRG5 Remedy this month. So, I may consider that.
Honestly no difference in noise compared to the Continentals it came with. Or at least that I can tell. My other car with the BFG AT3's had a noticable difference, and are very noisy. But the Nokians have been great all around. First time I've ever owned Nokians, so far... Awesome.

Reactions: MattM24
I also have the Nokian WRG4's...which have been great. Right now they have 23K miles on them..thought I could get more...and I think in 6 month or so I will need new tires. How many miles on yours?

Honestly no difference in noise compared to the Continentals it came with. Or at least that I can tell. My other car with the BFG AT3's had a noticable difference, and are very noisy. But the Nokians have been great all around. First time I've ever owned Nokians, so far
I also have the Nokian WRG4's...which have been great. Right now they have 23K miles on them..thought I could get more...and I think in 6 month or so I will need new tires. How many miles on yours?
Way less then that. Maybe like 12k or so. Still have tons of tread. No noticable wear when I rotate every spring according to the shop. I'll report back as I wear them out..

I love the CC2 on my Model S.

Had them for a year and a half. Yes, efficiency is a bit less than my previous pilot sport 4A/S but the traction in snow is night and day difference. I’d take better traction any day over better efficiency. One accident prevented with good traction can cover the costs of lost efficiency.

I’m hoping to get 60k miles out of them. I have about 25k miles now and the tread seems very good yet. I got almost 50k miles out of the pilot sport.

Of course how you drive makes a world of difference. I burned though my very first set of tires quite quickly because of all the quick starts I used to do. I have almost 112k miles and on my 3rd set of tires.

I have read that as the tire ages, the tread gets a bit stiff for winter. We shall see.

I noticed nobody on this thread has commented on the 19" Hankook iON EVO All Season tires as a replacement for the OEM Continental tires on the Model Y long range. I will need to replace my OEMs soon & not make even 35,000 miles. I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago. So, should I get the above mentioned Hankook tires or the Michelin Cross Climate2 tires?

I replaced my OEM Continentals with the Hankook iON EVO on my M3 and liked them better - in all aspects (smoother ride, quieter, similar range). I recently traded my M3 for a 2024 MYLR and will replace the OEM Pirelli tires once worn with the same Hankook's. Here is a link, they are not cheap! but they did price match a lower cost location, but can't remember who...

Another vote goes to CC2 on Model Y 19". I've had this tire over 2 winters now, and also on 2 other cars over many years. Used them since the original CC days. On both front wheel setup and all wheel drives.

And unlike the OP, I drive 26k miles per year, and I do live in the great lake region with decent amount of snow.

A small drop (around 5%) in range, and treadwear is very good.

I do want to try Nokian WRG4, but those are not available in my size...

Reactions: Skavatar
I just put the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus on my MYP. I took off the 21in ubertines in favor of a set of 20in induction wheels. I would buy them again. I paid about $1,100 for them from Sam's club. size is 275/40/20 (square set up)
How is the range, noise? It was my favorite tire for ICE but never had it on EV