Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a short video testing the heat/charge loss in the cable and charger when I slow charge at 3.7kW.
This will help you in your decision wether a wallbox is viable and economical solution.

1) A Wallbox will set you back at least 1000$/€ including installation. As you see in the video, depending on the kWh price you have in your location, the difference in heat loss is so minimal that it will take 200,000km - 400,000km before a wallbox even pays out for itself. By that time the standard might have changed or the wallbox might be dead and you will need a new one.

2) Most people drive just 100miles/150km a day. Charging on Schuko / CEE 16 Europe or equivalent in the US (around 3.7kW-8kW) is plenty enough over night.

3) I plan to do another test where I calculate the loss via Type 2 11kW cable in Europe.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
One thing I forgot to mention is that the car uses something when not sleeping and I am not sure wether it is sleeping when plugged in -so over the 17 hours it probably consumed 1kWh or so , so if I subtract that I get around 15% heat loss.