Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visiting Tesla Motors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobos

Model S owner since 2013
Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I'm currently in San Francisco on vacation (attending a very good friend of my wife's wedding) for a few more days. I just checked on the map and my hotel is only like 10 miles from Tesla's San Carlos headquarter! So I was curious if anyone knows if I could just arrive there to see an actual Roadster ? Anyone know how they handle curious visitors which just want to see, as the Roadster is clearly outside my price range for a purchase.

Sindre aka Cobos

Dude,

Just do it. There will surely be a car in the parking lot. You are an active TM and TMC poster and are in from Norway. They probably won't let you drive a car but you may get a ride if you are really lucky!

Good point. As we haven't rented a car I'll have to use PT, but it seems there is a Caltrain stop pretty close, and I suppose I can always take a cab if it's too long to drive :) I might get a ride from our friend as well that just got married, but she works so then it would be after regular work hours. So when do you suggest I visit, work hours or later in the day ?

Cobos

I did get to call them an unfortunately they said they don't have time for any kind of visitors until their show room opens in april. So I guess I'll have to wait a few years until they do arrive in Norway or I come back to the west coast. Thanks for all the tips and I'm glad I did call beforehand so I didn't go out there for nothing.

Cobos

Different strokes. If I was with 10 miles of a place that is this much on my radar and I was 1/2 way around the world for the only time in years, I would have gone by. Just to see the building. Touch the hallowed ground. Perhaps see one in the parking lot (they have so many now they may have to take some out every morning just to get work done). They also might be seen going down the street and driving in/out of the building at the ends of the day.

I've vactationed and worked in Italy but usually saw enough Ferrari's on the roads that I did not feel an urge to find the factory, I like the cars but not so much that I'm blogging about them...

Yeah we'll see what we'll do tonight, but us Norwegians are pretty timid people so I don't know. And I sort of lost my religious fervor for the company with the whole spectacle of Martin getting ousted. I still love the product and possibly the Whitestar product as well but I've got no need to touch the hallow ground. Our friend is picking us up today with a car so we might go look outside the fence if there is anything to see there. Though I suppose they will eventually have to sell in Norway for simple price reasons so I can always wait until then...
Cobos

No fence, but you can't see into any of the buildings unless invited inside.

I never saw any Roadsters just parked outside either. They have lots of garage space inside, and at any given time it seems that many of the roadsters are "out and about" somewhere. (For a trade show, magazine review, customer test drive, durability test, etc.)

If you hung out all day you might see one leave the garage and speed off, but you are better off trying to go to an "event" if you want to see one up close.