Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Visual AI Robot lawnmower

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Kickstarter weren’t plagued by failed projects by upstart companies or outright scams, I would be all over this...
Old news. If they could do robotic home vacuum machines, so could they with robotic lawn mowers. It's been available for quite some time ago:

“Old news” is not quite accurate. All of the mowers in your Best of 2022 list require perimeter wires buried around the yard to control the mower. The initial post was about a mower with AI that DOES NOT require wires to be buried in the yard. That is new.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
“Old news” is not quite accurate. All of the mowers in your Best of 2022 list require perimeter wires buried around the yard to control the mower. The initial post was about a mower with AI that DOES NOT require wires to be buried in the yard. That is new.
Thanks for the clarification.

Some with no need for perimeter wires:

@Tam.. Well… ok but those were either super expensive, ergo rare and questionable functionality due to near total absence of users or (the last one listed) also a Kickstarter (and that one has a subscription software service model {Sugar that, for a lawnmower!?})

Oh. And another one in that article, the one I was previously really really interested in, from iRobot, was about to enter the US market when Covid shutdowns hit. It got indefinitely canned for the US market.

Even this one is like $700 lowest price which is kinda ridiculous for a lawn mower.

image recognition guided lawn mowing ought to be a piece of cake, like even achievable with open source image recognition software. I mean, each bot must learn ONLY its own lawn and recognize yard junk/obstacles.

Last edited:
A vacuum is one thing, I personally dont want something that has blades attached to it, "self running" around my lawn. Perhaps if I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere, sure, but where I live in a suburb, nope, im not ready for our robot overlords to get attached blades, just yet.

A vacuum is one thing, I personally dont want something that has blades attached to it, "self running" around my lawn. Perhaps if I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere, sure, but where I live in a suburb, nope, im not ready for our robot overlords to get attached blades, just yet.
I have a parameter based Automower, and there is no way its going to hurt anyone.

Sure it can cut grass, but its only designed to cut a tiny amount of grass at a time. It doesn't pick up any of the grass and instead its fed back to the grass.

Pros:
  • Saves me time in that it can take care of mowing my back yard while I do other things. In fact I give it the weekend off so it doesn't get in my way.
  • In the PNW where there are times in the spring or early summer where it can be hard to find a weekend day to mow because of rain. The automower doesn't care about constant drizzle.
  • It's fairly simplistic and just works. The parameter based systems have been around for a really long time.
Cons:
  • The initial setup of the parameter wire was a pain, and sometimes when I'm weeding or doing other yard work I'll accidently pull it up.
  • I wouldn't have it if I had a dog because the mower would run right over the poop
  • It has no mechanism for detecting things like I dropped branch.
  • The initial mowing of the year should be done by a regular mower as you need to cut the grass down to a small height before using it.
  • Doesn't pick up leaves so it's not all that useful during the late fall
When one comes on the market that offer something substantially better for a non-insane price then I'll probably upgrade.

I do wish there was one that was more of a total lawncare robot. In fact I want it to have a sad face for when things just aren't going its way.