Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA raising EV fee to $350/yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 7.15.29 PM.png

Give him a call. Tell him this is an idiotic idea.

Washington State Senate transportation bill would more than double electric vehicle registration fees

Be glad you didn’t experience Iowa’s annual registration fee increase for EVs in 2014. For almost a century (when 1/3 of all vehicles circa 1910 were electric), Iowa had a special discounted rate for EVs. Through 2013 it was a mere $25 for any EV; by comparison, annual plates for any ICE vehicle cost 1% of the manufacturer’s MSRP. Effective 1/1/2014, every EV purchased by an Iowan costs 1% of the MSRP (and doesn’t begin to decrease - by 25% - until the vehicle is 8 years old). So when I recently bought my used 2012 P85, my annual Iowa plate (registration) fee was $943 (1% of what Tesla reported as the MSRP, before the Signature option premium). Not cool :mad:

Likewise, when I bought a 2014 Cadillac ELR, it’s annual Iowa registration fees are $766 (1% of $76k MSRP, even though I bought it new for $37k). The State of Iowa may brag about half of its electricity coming from wind turbines, but it’s certainly not EV-friendly when it comes to the cost of owning EVs! :(

Last edited:
the country is realizing they have to replace the gas taxes with EV taxes to keepthe income stream rolling, get used to it folks

.... this isn't replacing. At $150/yr the average EV driving was ALREADY paying more than the average ICE driver. If we're going to do the right, rational and responsible thing and encourage a transition away from fools fuel ASAP we need to end this counter productive insanity. Raise the gas tax to increase the incentive to go electric. Find a way to subsidize EVs for low income families.

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 9.26.24 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush