Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk-Away Door Lock Doesn't Work Near Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla on this today and spoke with a helpful person. He understood the issue and submitted my request to greatly reduce the radius used for the "Exclude Home" option for the “Walk-Away Door Lock” feature. He mentioned that Tesla has an analytics system that prioritizes such requests based on the frequency of the requests and by using key words. Sounds like a numbers game, so the more people who request this change the better.

If you'd like to add your voice, you may call Tesla at 877-798-3752. This concludes the public service announcement. ;)

I just noticed this problem as I've been parking my car outside of home but in the nearby parking space within 200 ft from home in the last couple of days...They must have implemented it based people having luxury homes with huge land :rolleyes:

That that translates to me having to turn off the exclude home completely. But on the bright side, with my house not big enough perhaps it won't auto lock anyway since I can't walk away far enough from the car parking in the garage when at home 🤣

Reactions: Oil Freedom
Thanks guys. Your post helped me figure out what went wrong where I was parking near my home.
There is nothing about that ~500 meters radius home definition in the manual or anything.

In waiting for a fix from Tesla what I did is change my home address with an address 400 meters away in the opposite direction of the parkings I want the car to auto lock. I never park on this opposite direction area anyway.
Like this my real home address is still within 500m range and so no automatic lock. And the supermarket parking is now ~700m so automatic lock works.
When a fix would eventually arise from Tesla I would know it as the car would then auto lock at home. I could then set the right home address back.

Thanks guys. Your post helped me figure out what went wrong where I was parking near my home.
There is nothing about that ~500 meters radius home definition in the manual or anything.

In waiting for a fix from Tesla what I did is change my home address with an address 400 meters away in the opposite direction of the parkings I want the car to auto lock. I never park on this opposite direction area anyway.
Like this my real home address is still within 500m range and so no automatic lock. And the supermarket parking is now ~700m so automatic lock works.
When a fix would eventually arise from Tesla I would know it as the car would then auto lock at home. I could then set the right home address back.
In addition this radius explains why when I once charged at the supermarket parking the Recharge Stats considered it a home charge and applied the home rate in the charts.

• Funny
Reactions: Oil Freedom