Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Power Sharing Behavior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those of you who have multiple Wall Connectors wired in a power sharing configuration. Even if one of your cars is completely asleep, does your other, actively charging car indicate the charing current is bouncing around?

When I just had a single Wall Connector, I'd plug in the car and it'd go right to charging at 40A (50A circuit), and it'd stay right there at 40A until charging was complete at 90%.

I know that in power sharing mode a sleeping car still ends up reserving 6A from the shared power budget, so the maximum the other car can consume is 34A. This is typically what I see happen, but frequently the charging current will dip down to a lower value like 24A, 26A, etc. I don't believe it's a voltage drop issue since even when the current drops down, I'm still seeing at least 243V indicated by the car.

Does everyone else see weird behavior like this? Or does your second car go right up to the max charging current and stay there until complete?

No idea about the ‘sleeping car reserving’ power. Maybe I’ve never hit the ceiling so I’ve never seen that but I don’t see why that would be true. When mine are asleep they use nothing so why would there be a reservation. Have to raise the limit on my X and see what happens. Of course right now very little usage to draw it down to a point where it would charge at a level to show the limit!

I’ve never heard this discussed before, either.

No idea about the ‘sleeping car reserving’ power. Maybe I’ve never hit the ceiling so I’ve never seen that but I don’t see why that would be true. When mine are asleep they use nothing so why would there be a reservation. Have to raise the limit on my X and see what happens. Of course right now very little usage to draw it down to a point where it would charge at a level to show the limit!

I’ve never heard this discussed before, either.

I'm a little confused by your response. The car should always pull the maximum current available, unless you're charging up to like 99% or something, then it starts to taper off.