Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Renault Zoe with a Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My son is purchasing his first EV (a Renault Zoe R135), and I am struggling to find any info online regarding Zoe's and their ability to charge at home with a Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector which we already use for my Model 3. Does anyone know if this is something that would work, as the Zoe also charges by Type 2 from its CCS port like the Model 3. Thanks in advance! https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/gen-2-wall-connector

P.S. if there are any Zoe owners out there, does your car "wake up" the Tesla Gen 2 wall connector for scheduled charge sessions? Eg plug in the Zoe at 6pm and set the car to start charging at 10pm? Thanks!

It should work fine, you may find the Tesla wall charger tries to talk ‘Tesla’ first before switching to normal Type 2 when it times out, and the odd car struggles with that but if the worst happens there’s a switch inside the charger that changes it to compatible mode which avoids it trying to talk Tesla (it will still charge a Tesla, you just won’t be able to diagnose any charger faults). We charged BMWs on our old Gen 2 charger and have charged Audis on our Gen 3 charger without any issues or the use of compatibility mode.

The only thing to avoid is the older mobile charger that the MS and MX came with because it don’t follow the rules correctly.

It should work fine, you may find the Tesla wall charger tries to talk ‘Tesla’ first before switching to normal Type 2 when it times out, and the odd car struggles with that but if the worst happens there’s a switch inside the charger that changes it to compatible mode which avoids it trying to talk Tesla (it will still charge a Tesla, you just won’t be able to diagnose any charger faults). We charged BMWs on our old Gen 2 charger and have charged Audis on our Gen 3 charger without any issues or the use of compatibility mode.

The only thing to avoid is the older mobile charger that the MS and MX came with because it don’t follow the rules correctly.
I don't believe the Gen2 TWC has any compatibility mode setting option. I have read the installation manual and can't find it anyway. It does appear to be a feature of the Gen3 version. That said, the Gen2 TWC should be compatible with most EVs.

I don't believe the Gen2 TWC has any compatibility mode setting option. I have read the installation manual and can't find it anyway. It does appear to be a feature of the Gen3 version. That said, the Gen2 TWC should be compatible with most EVs.

I’m pretty sure Gen 2 does - it’s the setting to allow Tesla destination charging to be Tesla Only so only really used for commercial installs. Iirc it’s the dip switch shared with earthing type that is effectively documented as ‘do not touch’.

Long time I looked at this but believe it’s documented elsewhere on TMC or even the white sticker inside the TWC.

Edit - here you go - caveat ‘it depends’
Thread 'Legacy mode'
Legacy mode

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KennethS
Hi All,

Thanks for your advice, greatly appreciate it. My son's Zoe has arrived, however we are unable to get it to charge on the gen 2 wall connector, despite setting the dip switch 2 to “legacy mode”. The neighbours MG EV charges successfully, as does my Model 3. The Zoe does charge successfully elsewhere also.

Zoe's are notorious for their need for a good earth loop impedance, and occasionally we’ve seen a GFCI trip error on my Tesla, so we think the charger must be not be well-grounded enough.

What’s the best way to improve the earthing on the gen 2 charger? At the moment we’re thinking of adding two more earth rods in series, to make three in total. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks :)