Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Street Journal // Toronto Star Hit Piece

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the Toronto Star has a marketing partnership with the Wall Street Journal, and one of the WSJ's articles was published today.
The dirt on clean electric cars | The Star

Can't find the WSJ link. Maybe not up yet.

It's a complete hit piece. So much so I took the time to write and tell them so, as below. Not expecting much out of it, but this garbage has to end, we cannot continue having respected publications like The Star and the WSJ publish this crap unchallenged.

This article is a hit piece and I'm very disappointed to see it published in the Star. It is weakly written and highly misleading. There's a grand total of one sentence, right at the end of the article, referencing the fact Tesla produces carbon free batteries. No extrapolation is given on that sentence; the fact Tesla is on track to power their Nevada Gigafatory with 100% renewable sources is not mentioned. No mention is made of the fact Tesla is the world leader in BEV sales, despite their top selling model only being currently available in North America, and their sales are trending highly positive, while Nissan's (#3) are trending highly negative.
Worldwide BEV sales - by brand 2018 | Statistic

The only companies that matter right now for this analysis are Tesla, and 2-3 Chinese BEV manufacturers. Everyone else mentioned in that article, and the German ones featured prominently (VW, Mercedes, BMW), are irrelevant. Their BEV sales are so low they do not warrant a mention. The article does not mention a single Tesla model, yet they reference Mercedes EQC and Audi's e-tron, which combined have sold a grand total of zero units worldwide to date.
The authors give the distinct impression BEV's are bad, then proceed to point out the worst manufacturing market for them in the world, and a market that's peripheral at best to the actual current BEV market conditions. Why? Even in that bad scenario, the authors admit those BEV's are on par with diesels after 3 years. The takeaway for me from that is that BEV's are awesome, and Germany and Poland need to deal with their coal plants, not that BEV's are bad for the environment, yet this is clearly the implication in the headline!

But no, the Star, and the WSJ, continue in the long tradition of people indebted to moneyed interests looking to ensure the failure of the EV industry. The Star generally regards itself as a progressive outlet, and highlights worthy issues. I've noticed several times though, on BEV's, the Star is either ill-informed, or beholden to the money their advertising department collects from enemies of the coming green revolution.

I'm disappointed. Please make more of an effort to publish fair and balanced articles on the BEV industry.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik and Ormond
These guys on YouTube offer a great counter to the whole “EVs are dirty” lie:

Short version:

People keep comparing the entire battery process from the birth of the universe up until it’s left your car and been grabbed by a homeless dude to chase down kids in the park with...

Against the gas in someone’s car ONLY at the point of burning in the engine when operating at ideal freeway efficiency...

As in: they’re skewing the metrics to the silly on both sides of the scale...

Ok so the silly examples are my editorial... but it’s the ghist of how these comparisons often go. Just last night I had to respond to someone I like noting batteries using minerals from Congo... if I had been thinking snarky I could hace said “so how’s that Saudi Oil doing, is your exhaust pipe running red?”
But this was an innocent dude I know who just noted the talking points media had given him...