Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING - Car Report Scam- VinGator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently posted my 2015 Model S 70D on Autotrader and was immediately "graced" by a person named "Luna", saying they are interested, want to come today, blah blah blah. Then they asked for VG report on the car instead of the one Autotrader offers for free. When pressed, they sent me a link to vingator.com, which at first was caught by my browser as a scam site, but then finally loaded. The prospective "buyer" said they trust this car history report over the one Autotrader uses, and it's "only $27-$50 depending on details".

Being pretty internet scam savvy, I researched vingator and quickly found one forum for motorcycles were several people fell for the scam. They went to the site, paid the $27, never got a report and never heard from the person again. Oddly, it was the only forum where people had experienced this scam, so I'm presuming this is a more recent creation.

Just posting this to the forum as a warning to those selling their cars online and getting approached by anyone wanting you to order a "report" from vingator or any site you've never heard of. Stick to the known KBB/Carfax or other reputable car history reports!

MODERATORS: Please move to proper forum if this is not the best for visibility.

This is a common scam attack vector that I've heard talked about several times. Based off the thread title, I knew what you encountered and was happy to see that you didn't get suckered in by this scam. I'm surprised the scam report you found was for only $27. I thought most of the time, they would say some small fee and then bill you for more than that price.

YouTube channels from Kitboga, Pleasant Green, and Scammer Payback are good to see the various different types of scams at work and also get a little enjoyment out of it as you watch these folks on the YouTube channels torment these people with horrible "jobs".

Reactions: acoburn73