Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We must face facts - meat is the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bugs to the rescue: using insects as animal feed could cut deforestation – report

Soya has become a key ingredient of animal feed but rising demand for the crop has been linked to deforestation in South America. More than 1m tonnes of soya used by UK livestock farmers in 2019 could have been linked to deforestation, according to estimates.Soya has become a key ingredient of animal feed but rising demand for the crop has been linked to deforestation in South America. More than 1m tonnes of soya used by UK livestock farmers in 2019 could have been linked to deforestation, according to estimates.

The report also highlighted the role the retail sector could play by encouraging the use of insect protein in animal feed in their supply chain and educating consumers about the benefits. French supermarket Auchan already sells insect-fed trout, while Dutch supermarkets sell Oerei eggs laid by hens fed black soldier fly larvae.

Fermentation has been used in making bread, beer, wine, cheese and other products for millennia, and is now emerging as a key alt-protein platform with major potential to align science with entrepreneurship, policy and investment, according to the Good Food Institute. Even so, Nature’s Fynd has some catching up to do. U.K.-based Quorn, founded in 1985, has been offering its fungus-based meatless products in the U.S. since 2002. It was acquired by Philippine food maker Monde Nissin for about $830 million in 2015, according to Reuters. And the field of other potential competitors is growing.

I tried an app to reduce my family’s meat consumption and it worked

The Optimise Meat Tracker (standing for Online Programme to Tackle Individuals Meat Intake through Self-regulation) is a nine-week programme designed by researchers at the University of Oxford’s Livestock, Environment and People (Leap) initiative. The idea is to test whether behavioural interventions that have previously proved effective in helping people to lose weight could also help people to reduce the amount of meat they consume, both to benefit their health and that of the planet.

There’s evidence that people tend to lose track of how much meat they consume, and also underestimate it. So prompting individuals to monitor their meat consumption has also been shown to be quite effective to help people reduce their intake,” said Dr Cristina Stewart, a nutritionist and health behaviour researcher at Leap, who helped to design the programme.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
World’s feral pigs produce as much CO2 as 1.1m cars each year, study finds

The climate impact of wild pigs around the world is equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions of 1.1m cars annually, according to new research. Modelling by an international team of researchers estimates that feral pigs release 4.9m metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each year globally by uprooting soil.The climate impact of wild pigs around the world is equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions of 1.1m cars annually, according to new research. Modelling by an international team of researchers estimates that feral pigs release 4.9m metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each year globally by uprooting soil.

If all we care about is agriculture, then the cost and the benefits of managing pigs will be different than if all we cared about was carbon emissions, than if all we cared about was biodiversity.

I tried an app to reduce my family’s meat consumption and it worked

The Optimise Meat Tracker (standing for Online Programme to Tackle Individuals Meat Intake through Self-regulation) is a nine-week programme designed by researchers at the University of Oxford’s Livestock, Environment and People (Leap) initiative. The idea is to test whether behavioural interventions that have previously proved effective in helping people to lose weight could also help people to reduce the amount of meat they consume, both to benefit their health and that of the planet.

There’s evidence that people tend to lose track of how much meat they consume, and also underestimate it. So prompting individuals to monitor their meat consumption has also been shown to be quite effective to help people reduce their intake,” said Dr Cristina Stewart, a nutritionist and health behaviour researcher at Leap, who helped to design the programme.
Side note: as far as I can tell from the LEAP site, Cristina Stewart isn't a Doctor. She has a Masters. I assume bad journalism.
I was triggered to look it up because it said nutritionist, rather than dietitian. Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist, including a certain well-known (in the UK) Scottish mentalist.

Side note: as far as I can tell from the LEAP site, Cristina Stewart isn't a Doctor. She has a Masters. I assume bad journalism.
I was triggered to look it up because it said nutritionist, rather than dietitian. Anybody can call themselves a nutritionist, including a certain well-known (in the UK) Scottish mentalist.
Who is Christina Stewart and why are you questioning her credentials?

Who is Christina Stewart and why are you questioning her credentials?

Cristina Stewart, no h, was quoted in the article you linked. See above why I looked her up.

She is one of about 50 people in the group.
I am also a Registered Public Health Nutritionist (RNutr) registered with the Association for Nutrition.

So.... What is your issue?
Nutritionist has no legal force behind it. In contrast dietitians are regulated by law. As a result the title nutritionist is used by quacks, which makes it a trigger word for me. I double-checked and as a result I found the error in the article. Hence the side note.

Nutritionist has no legal force behind it. In contrast dietitians are regulated by law. As a result the title nutritionist is used by quacks, which makes it a trigger word for me. I double-checked and as a result I found the error in the article. Hence the side note.
She is in the UK and is a Registered Public Health Nutritionist (RNutr).
Again, is there a reason you are attacking her credentials? The article is about an Oxford University project which seems to have about 50 people contributing.

"...said Dr Cristina Stewart, a nutritionist and health behaviour researcher"

The article gave her the title of "doctor" but she does not appear to have a doctorate degree. It's not an attack on the person to point out an error in the article.

We don't know her degrees. We don't know that the title is wrong.
What is your issue?
This is the bio for "Cristina Stewart", it doesn't describe her as a doctor:

Here she says flatly she has a Masters:

There is a Christine Stewart that has a PhD in nutrition, but this is a different person, and may be the source of confusion in the article.

World’s feral pigs produce as much CO2 as 1.1m cars each year, study finds

The climate impact of wild pigs around the world is equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions of 1.1m cars annually, according to new research. Modelling by an international team of researchers estimates that feral pigs release 4.9m metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each year globally by uprooting soil.The climate impact of wild pigs around the world is equivalent to the greenhouse gas emissions of 1.1m cars annually, according to new research. Modelling by an international team of researchers estimates that feral pigs release 4.9m metric tonnes of carbon dioxide each year globally by uprooting soil.

If all we care about is agriculture, then the cost and the benefits of managing pigs will be different than if all we cared about was carbon emissions, than if all we cared about was biodiversity.
So we should shoot and eat more wild pigs!!

This is the bio for "Cristina Stewart", it doesn't describe her as a doctor:

Here she says flatly she has a Masters:

There is a Christine Stewart that has a PhD in nutrition, but this is a different person, and may be the source of confusion in the article.
I'm still puzzling why you are concerned about this person's credentials?

I'm puzzled that you seem offended over a minor correction? I'm sure that the incorrect use of the title "Doctor" is offensive to those that actually earned it.

If it's no big deal, then I would like to be referred to as "Doctor CyberGus" from now on.
Dear Doctor CyberGus,
I am not offended by your "correction". Also, as a real doctor (M.D.) I am not offended by others using the title. I don't check their credentials and don't care if they adopt the title (earned or otherwise). The only time it matters is when I am treating a patient (or being treated) and then the patient should be assured that I am a real doctor.
As far as Cristine goes, I am willing to take her word on the utility of the app that Oxford has developed. I'm sure Oxford has lots of real doctors making sure they put out good information.