Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird pattern on the hood - Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This wasn't apparent at pick-up a few weeks ago, but has been visible from certain angles after the first time I took it to a touchless car wash in town several days later. There has not been any mud, dirt, bugs, bird poop, or other grime on the car to match this change at all. There was no residue on the hood at the end of the car wash. I've washed it by hand and at a touchless car wash since, and it hasn't changed at all.

Any ideas what this is and what can be done?

Hood 2.jpg

Hood 1.jpg

Looks maybe like a bird splat on the lower spot. That stuff is super corrosive.

Would try some clay and detail spray first, and some polishing compound it that does not work.

You should be able to feel it with a finger nail if it is on the surface.

If you are uncomfortable rubbing on it, a local professional detailer could get it taken care of.

There has not been any mud, dirt, bugs, bird poop...
View attachment 337536

View attachment 337537

Looks maybe like a bird splat on the lower spot. That stuff is super corrosive.

Agreed - the bottom most stain looks like a bird splat or similar corrosive. So there was nothing that you recall that actually covered the paint in that spot? It really looks like some kind of liquid splat. Knowing what kind would help to diagnose and recommend solutions, but it wouldn't hurt to try a clay bar and spray first. Can you get a picture up close from a 45* angle?

Agreed - the bottom most stain looks like a bird splat or similar corrosive. So there was nothing that you recall that actually covered the paint in that spot? It really looks like some kind of liquid splat. Knowing what kind would help to diagnose and recommend solutions, but it wouldn't hurt to try a clay bar and spray first. Can you get a picture up close from a 45* angle?

I agree that it looks like bird poop or some other liquid splatter, at least the larger areas at the bottom of the hood. I have no idea what could have caused the wavy marks higher up. The main mystery to me is I am 100% certain there has not been any such mess on the car since taking delivery. There has not been anything to correlate to any of the marks in the pictures since I've had the car. I've had bugs on the windshield, bugs on the front bumper, and some very light rain, and that's it. The car is parked inside when I'm not at work, and every time I've come back to it to go home from work the area above was clean.

Here are a few more pictures, including the best close-up I could take with the marks still visible. It's probably not 45º, but it was the best I could do. The problem is they only show up when viewing the hood from certain angles. I've included a shot from the other side of the hood, as none of the marks are visible at all then. There is nothing to feel at all with my finger and nothing for my fingernail to catch on with any of the marks.

Hood 3.jpg

Hood 4.jpg

Hood 5.jpg

It is hard to tell from this photo if its over the surface or under the clearcoat. It looks like some kind of transparent abrasive liquid poured over from high point. Do you tried to buff it of with polish or compound?

I don't feel anything on the surface of the car in the areas affected. It's completely smooth and feels like the rest of the hood. Is there any way to tell if it's under the clearcoat beyond an attempt at polish to see if that resolves it?

I have to take it back to the nearest Tesla Service Center for some other issues soon anyway, for some other minor mechanical problems found on delivery, and they want to see this too. They're planning on fixing this too, as far as I've been told on the phone.

I don't feel anything on the surface of the car in the areas affected. It's completely smooth and feels like the rest of the hood. Is there any way to tell if it's under the clearcoat beyond an attempt at polish to see if that resolves it?

I have to take it back to the nearest Tesla Service Center for some other issues soon anyway, for some other minor mechanical problems found on delivery, and they want to see this too. They're planning on fixing this too, as far as I've been told on the phone.

Tesla Service Center will probably try to fix it with repaint job. Just bring your car to professional paint detailer shop and get their opinion about it before doing anything. That will save your time and your money.

Reactions: Natalie 1