Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you leave your hands off the wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I would never try the experiment, and I strongly advise everyone reading this to NOT try the experiment. But I'm wondering what the car does if someone does not respond to the "hold the wheel" warning. Does anyone know? Please don't try it. Just, does anyone know of documentation?

@HelloJohnny, thanks for posting that. So for those who don't want to take the time to watch the video, first it flashes blue and puts up a message, which we've all seen because sometimes it thinks you aren't when you are. Then it beeps, then it beeps some more, then it puts on the hazard lights and comes to a gradual stop, remaining centered in the lane. At that point it disables autosteer for the rest of the drive, but still allows the use of TACC.

For clarity's sake, does "rest of drive" mean simply for as long as the car is kept on? i.e. if the car is turned off and then on again, it will have reset? Or does this take into account any potential destination that may have been set when the autosteer was disabled?

For clarity's sake, does "rest of drive" mean simply for as long as the car is kept on? i.e. if the car is turned off and then on again, it will have reset? Or does this take into account any potential destination that may have been set when the autosteer was disabled?

I think you just have to put it in Park and start again. I never really tried it but I had been disabled 3 times and I always drive with both hands on the wheel.