Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your take on installing a 4K dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always had one in my other vehicles but for some reason haven't quite got around to putting one in the Y. The last two or three have been Viofo.

Thanks for reminding me I need to restart this project

As for it being 4K ... I'd put 5K in if they made one! The more Ks the better! (HDR is good too for balancing out the picture)

Which one are you looking at?

Reactions: Skavatar
Is there zero risk of 12V Battery drain with a dashcam (parked with sentry)? Tesla monitors and keeps it topped up to avoid this issue?

It seems populare choices are blackvue, viofo a139pro and thinkware U3000.

Is there zero risk of 12V Battery drain with a dashcam (parked with sentry)? Tesla monitors and keeps it topped up to avoid this issue?

I had the BlackVue B-124X Ultra Battery Pack installed along with the BlackVue DR900S-2CH in my M3P in 2019. No issues so far.

Reactions: Skavatar

Yes, the car will automatically activate the DC-DC converter to top off the low voltage battery as needed.

2018 M3 has been running a Blackvue DR900S 24/7 with no issues. 2021 MY also has a Blackvue DR900X running 24/7 with no issues either.

If parking mode auto switching matters to you, I think Blackvue is your only option. It's the only brand I know of that does parking mode detection off GPS speed instead of switched ignition power. Switched power is not always easy to find on these cars.

Also note that some newer vehicles have switched to 16v batteries instead of 12v--that's the case with my new MS. I'm not sure if they've brought 16v batteries to other models--I'd probably check voltage & verify dashcam voltage compatibility before permanently installing anything.

I stopped putting in dashcams once the cars began shipping with AMD Ryzen processors though. I've found the recordings to be much more reliable with the Ryzen MCU. Video quality is also much improved with HW4.0 cameras.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skavatar and bugek