Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's a normal battery loss to have when car isn't being used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if your car isn't plugged in and not being used, what's a normal battery loss to have whether percentage or miles?

There is no simple answer to your question, unfortunately. This largely depends on where you've parked your car (ambient temperature), whether or not you've enabled certain features (such as Sentry Mode), utilize 3rd party Apps, like Tezlab, TeslaFi and others.

In warmer climates, people report a range loss of between 3-8 miles per day. These numbers can climb into the high teens in colder weather due to various battery protection (heating) techniques the car uses. More recent software updates have increased the amount of power the vehicle can use to keep the battery warm (up to 6kw) - although there is no direct battery heater on the Model 3.

Sentry Mode keeps cameras and onboard computer active, and third-party Apps can cause the car to sleep less (when it uses less power).

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm just curious because I notice battery loss every night, but just wanted to see if it was normal. I park mine in a garage and weather right now is around 55-75 at night. I imagine logging into the app, also drains it too.

I lose about 10 miles of range in a 24 hr period . Service center rep said that’s about right considering the car adjusts to keep battery warm or cool depending on temps outside

Thanks! I haven't actually paid attention to how much it drops. It's 227 right now, so I'll check again in the morning. I want to not drive it for 24 hours and take note of the drop, but I think it's too early for that as I'm still itching to drive it every second since I just got it Wednesday lol.

Thanks! I haven't actually paid attention to how much it drops. It's 227 right now, so I'll check again in the morning. I want to not drive it for 24 hours and take note of the drop, but I think it's too early for that as I'm still itching to drive it every second since I just got it Wednesday lol.

In the end, there is no point in obsessing over the phantom drain. As the cliche goes, it is what it is. That said, losing around 2000 miles a year in phantom loss is pretty significant, especially for someone like me who drives only about 5000 miles a year. 25+% of my fuel cost is phantom loss!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Zoomit
In the end, there is no point in obsessing over the phantom drain. As the cliche goes, it is what it is. That said, losing around 2000 miles a year in phantom loss is pretty significant, especially for someone like me who drives only about 5000 miles a year. 25+% of my fuel cost is phantom loss!

I'm just curious to know whether mine falls into the "normal" range or if something is draining my battery that needs attention. However, I haven't actually counted... I feel like it drops more than normal, but like I said I haven't written anything down to see. I'll try to see though whether it falls into the 3-6 miles per day.

I let it sit from 2AM to 12PM and it only lost 1 mile of range. Pretty darn good :)

It wont stay that way every day. Some days will be more than others. Anywhere from 1 to 10 miles per day (meaning not being used) is "normal". Also if for some reason you end up thinking your car is draining more than normal and try to engage tesla on it, one of the first things they will ask you is "do you have any third party apps that poll the car"?

This means things like Stats, teslafi etc. If you answer yes, they will (politely) tell you to pound sand and that is the root of the issue. It IS true that any app that connects to the car can increase drain. At that point its not "vampire drain" because its not some monster appearing in the middle of the night and sucking out electricity without you knowing... its just "drain".

With that being said, if you search this site for "vampire drain" as someone above recommended, you can read more about this topic than you possibly could want to... pages and pages and pages (and pages) on the amount of drain that tesla has nightly, vs other cars like bolts etc.

I parked it at Atlanta airport for about a week and lost a bit less than 1% per day.

I totally ignored it and I don't run any third party applications, plus there was good cell coverage.

I didn't check it until I connected to it from the shuttle bus to warm up the interior.

It IS true that any app that connects to the car can increase drain. At that point its not "vampire drain" because its not some monster appearing in the middle of the night and sucking out electricity without you knowing... its just "drain".
Yes, You are right that apps can increase the drain. However, with a lot of playing around with and without the Stats app running in background mode, I haven’t noticed any perceivable excess drain that I can attribute to the Stats app.