Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel arch extension for Model Y - thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I have my PUP Y (puppy?) reserved since early 2020 and have been following this site very closely to help fight off the COVID blues (and the wait to get my 7-seater version). I love customizing or modifying (where possible) my rides to heighten my enjoyment of them. Since the PUP version already has incredible performance, I thought I would focus first on the aesthetics.

After looking at YouTube videos of how easy it is to remove the wheel arch trim on the Model Y (for PPF wraps or hitch installs), I got thinking that maybe there is hope for an aftermarket wheel arch trim that has a bit more 'flare' to it like on the Model X and it would be a relatively easy to install part. Here is a picture of an X, notice the pronounced flare:

model-x-blog.jpg

This modification could give the Y a bit more width / hip and potentially afford wider wheel choices (or different offsets). Here's another visual example:

17-tesla-model-x-2018-angle--dynamic--exterior--front--grey.jpg

What do you all think?

I get what you're tryna say. and that would be awesome if you could work with a manufacturer to get something like that fabricated (if there's enough interest)
But if you're thinking about wider wheels, then It'd be best to get the fenders rolled no? that wider flared trim on the X will only be aesthetic.

True, I’m hoping this thread might serve as a way to understand the interest and for potential vendors looking for product ideas. :

As for rolling fenders, it works well on the Model 3 since there isn’t a plastic trim, but on the Y, I’m not sure how it would be done while preserving the factory trim.

Model 3 example:

YVaNnKa