Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheel locks have been nothing but a pain in the butt my experience. At this point, they are a shady dealer-add on like VIN etching to me.

With sentry mode, you'll get video of anyone who is going to take your wheels and honestly even if you have wheel locks even a mediocre thief will just hammer on a socket and take them off if they REALLY want them. Perhaps they are a deterrent, at best. But if someone really wants your wheels they'll get them.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Wheel locks have been nothing but a pain in the butt my experience. ....

.... even a mediocre thief will just hammer on a socket and take them off if they REALLY want them. ...

I concur. There are no security devices that will prevent theft of your wheels. I put 41 years in as a police officer. When with the NYPD a buddy was CO of the auto crime unit. When he and his guys raided a "chop shop" they'd inevitably find a batch of steering-wheel lock thingys sitting in the corner of the shop!

Rich

Totally understood these are deterrents and nothing more just like door locks to our houses. Someone wants in, they can get in. I simply want to make it difficult so they move on to an easier target. Having to hammer a socket onto every nut should make it undesirable. Also can deter stupid kids from pulling quick pranks.

The gorilla nuts arrived. I'll upload a comparison pic later.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Totally understood these are deterrents and nothing more just like door locks to our houses.

I totally understand. My experience has been frustrating - one time a shop forgot to put the wheel lock back after a tire swap. Three months later what should have been a quick and free rotation turned into $150 and an hour of time wasted. I also don't live in the bay area....I'm more worried about running into a deer or a moose than I am having someone steal my wheels. Let us know how it works!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Installed the gorilla locks today, every nut is a lock. still can steal them but is a pain in the ass to do.

Tesla nut vs Gorilla nut

IMG_1252.JPG

Here's how they look on the wheel

IMG_1253 (1).JPG

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Happy to report no issues at all. I ordered an extra key though to leave one in the car and one in the garage. I think it was $15.
What are you torquing them too? 129 ft/lbs is what Tesla says to use but what are those rated for?

Also, are you avoid impact drills? I've heard it can break those, which makes me hesitant and I assume any auto shop is going straight to the impact drill.

Does anyone know if these will fit under the "Induction" wheel caps?
These Gorilla locks are 41mm (1.62") tall, I am concerned that they might interfere with the center cap.
Thanks.
Gorilla model 96641BDX

Attachments

• gorilla-lock.jpg
    gorilla-lock.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited: