Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel size settings gone in V9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, you're right. All I see on the touchscreen under service/maintenance is a TPMS reset. I just looked all this up when I had my Nokian's installed a few weeks ago. I didn't need to reset - after a few km's all TPMS functioned properly. (New tires on existing wheels; I still don't think the procedure of when to hit the reset button is very well worded below)

It seems the latest revision of the owner's manual has not caught up yet.

Resetting the TPMS Sensors

After replacing one or more wheels (but not after replacing a tire or rotating wheels), the TPMS sensors need to be reset to ensure tire pressure warnings are accurate.

On newer versions of Model S, the TPMS sensors are reset automatically after driving over 15 mph (25 km/h) for longer than 10 minutes. But for older versions, follow these steps:
1. Inflate all tires to their recommended pressures, as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label located on the door pillar.

2. Get ready to drive for ten minutes, then touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Tire Pressure Monitor > Reset Sensors

3. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Caution: Selecting the incorrect wheel size may result in false tire pressure warnings. If a tire pressure warning displays, exit the vehicle, close the rear trunk and all doors, wait for the touchscreen to go black, then re- enter the vehicle and ensure that the correct wheel size is selected before touching Reset Sensors.

Note: On some older versions of Model S, when changing to 21" wheels, the TPMS may generate false tire pressure warnings. Bring Model S to a Tesla Service Center for further adjustment.

Warning: Do not reset the TPMS sensors in an attempt to clear tire pressure warnings.

Replacing a Tire Sensor

If the Tire Pressure warning indicator displays frequently, contact Tesla to determine if a tire sensor needs to be replaced. If a non-Tesla Service Center repairs or replaces a tire, the tire sensor may not work until Tesla performs the setup procedure.

TPMS Malfunction

Model S has also been equipped with a TPMS malfunction indicator to indicate when the system is not operating properly.

The TPMS malfunction indicator is combined with the tire pressure indicator light. When the system detects a malfunction, the indicatorashes for approximately one minute after Model S powers on, and then remains continuously lit. This sequence continues upon subsequent vehicle start-ups as long as the malfunction exists. When the TPMS malfunction indicator is on, the system might not be able to detect or signal under- and over- in ated tires as intended.

TPMS malfunctions can occur for a variety of reasons, including installing replacement or alternate tires or wheels that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly. Always check the TPMS malfunction indicator light after replacing one or more tires or wheels on your vehicle to ensure that the replacement tires or wheels allow the TPMS to continue to function properly.