Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic windscreen wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to configure the auto windscreen wipers?

We’ve had a new Model 3 for 2 weeks now and love most things about it. However, the auto wiper function is horrendous and never seems to wipe when I need or expect it to.

Does anyone know how to adjust the settings/sensitivity beyond what is on the touchscreen? I would have thought that there will be some config settings buried in the software where we could adjust this and get it right.

Just exploring the system and finding out what interfaces are exposed, but any suggestions welcomed!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

We’ve had a new Model 3 for 2 weeks now and love most things about it. However, the auto wiper function is horrendous and never seems to wipe when I need or expect it to.

Does anyone know how to adjust the settings/sensitivity beyond what is on the touchscreen? I would have thought that there will be some config settings buried in the software where we could adjust this and get it right.

Just exploring the system and finding out what interfaces are exposed, but any suggestions welcomed!
Turn off automatic wipers, it’s never worked.

When you need wipers press the button on the left stalk (may be right stalk for you). At the bottom of the screen wiper control appears for about 10 seconds. Select the wiper speed you want.

Upvote 0
Turn off automatic wipers, it’s never worked.

When you need wipers press the button on the left stalk (may be right stalk for you). At the bottom of the screen wiper control appears for about 10 seconds. Select the wiper speed you want.
Unfortunately, the above is the only correct answer. But I’ll add that after pressing the button, you can also scroll through manual speeds on the left thumb wheel.

Consider it a happy moment when automatic wipers are working well; it occasionally happens.

Upvote 0

You can't.
And they've NEVER worked right on a Tesla. And probably, never will.

I've disabled "automatic" wiper setting long ago (to avoid random wipes when entering parking garages, and no wipes during the rain), and use manual mode set at the appropriate speed for the condition.
This would have been easier if the car had a wiper stalk, like modern cars do. Alas, Tesla is too cheap for that.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
My theory is the auto wipers are so bad because eventually they want us to just give in to the Autopilot, lie back, and stare up through the panoroof glass whilst we're driven around.
It's like drivers needing to see out of the windscreen was an afterthought.
What really confuses me is when it doesn't come on it and never comes on at all, regardless of how much more rain blocks my view. Stubborn AI!

Upvote 0
Some excellent suggestions (really workarounds) above, but not directly answering the inquiry.
Yes, that would be logical thinking. And wrong.
To truly get adjustable wipers, you’ll need to trade in your car for another brand.

Upvote 0
Some excellent suggestions (really workarounds) above, but not directly answering the inquiry.

Yes, that would be logical thinking. And wrong.

To truly get adjustable wipers, you’ll need to trade in your car for another brand.
Not that that will really solve the auto wiper situation. I've never had a car with them that worked well, and I've had a number of different brands.

The worst wiper response comes when there is a light mist or rain and it slowly builds up to blindness. The wiper programming needs to see a noticeable difference between no rain coverage and rain within a fairly short period of time ... then it will (usually) respond.

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
I have seen that function work both better and worse throughout several updates. It really works fairly well now. My only complaint is this. It used to be quite erratic. Wiping frantically when it was not needed or stopping completely when it was. Right now my experience has been much, much more consistent, but not as aggressive. It needs to wipe a little more frequently.

What I have also discovered is that it works best when the windshield is clean. I mean REALLY clean. If you have a new car for example, your windshield is likely covered in a film of diesel oil and soot from the locomotive or truck tractor of the car transporter. Plus possibly some kind of chemical agent used in the manufacture of the glass. Mine sure was. It takes a long time for that film to wear off naturally. I use Brasso occasionally. People here have made other cleaning suggestions.

Upvote 0
Not that that will really solve the auto wiper situation. I've never had a car with them that worked well, and I've had a number of different brands.

The worst wiper response comes when there is a light mist or rain and it slowly builds up to blindness. The wiper programming needs to see a noticeable difference between no rain coverage and rain within a fairly short period of time ... then it will (usually) respond.
My Infiniti Q50 and my wife's Mercedes both had auto wipers. Neither of them worked really well. And they both used a dedicated sensor instead of vision. At least they both had two different user adjustable sensitivity settings which helped.

Upvote 0
It's like drivers needing to see out of the windscreen was an afterthought.

Or AP sensors, for that matter.
AP/FSD already fail/disengage in fog, misty rain, or snow.
1707762305177.png

My theory is the auto wipers are so bad because eventually they want us to just give in to the Autopilot, lie back, and stare up through the panoroof glass whilst we're driven around.

Neah, that's just an excuse for poor coding quality @Tesla.
Lets face the reality, folks. Tesla is masterful and making grandiose promises and marketing them on social media. It is also abysmal in delivering any software functionality that it hasn't previously ripped-off from its vendors (e.g.: Mobileye).

Until Tesla buys and copies a auto-windshield wiper or auto-high-beam product from a vendor, it's in-house software will continue to lag behind industry standards.

What really confuses me is when it doesn't come on it and never comes on at all, regardless of how much more rain blocks my view. Stubborn AI!
That's, sadly, "normal" for Tesla software quality.
After 5+ years of ownership and zero measurable improvements, I have no choice but to conclude that it's as good as it gets from Tesla.

*sigh*
a

Upvote 0
Or AP sensors, for that matter.
AP/FSD already fail/disengage in fog, misty rain, or snow.
View attachment 1017675

Neah, that's just an excuse for poor coding quality @Tesla.
Lets face the reality, folks. Tesla is masterful and making grandiose promises and marketing them on social media. It is also abysmal in delivering any software functionality that it hasn't previously ripped-off from its vendors (e.g.: Mobileye).

Until Tesla buys and copies a auto-windshield wiper or auto-high-beam product from a vendor, it's in-house software will continue to lag behind industry standards.

That's, sadly, "normal" for Tesla software quality.
After 5+ years of ownership and zero measurable improvements, I have no choice but to conclude that it's as good as it gets from Tesla.

*sigh*
a
Well at least it still drives fast 😆
And, I think, most days the auto wipers work well enough. But those few days when they don't is F-ing ridiculous and I'm bashing that manual wipe in frustration.

Upvote 0
I just sent my story to them. I don't expect an answer, but at least I've had my say. This is a safety feature which could hurt or kill someone if not put right.
via email to: [email protected], cc: [email protected]

Safety issue - windscreen wiper sensitivity

I have noticed with recent software updates that the windscreen wipers for my Tesla Model 3 (2019 model, VIN ---------) have noticeably less sensitivity to detecting rain on auto setting. This means they basically do not function until visibility is greatly impaired.

This is dangerous and given they worked well before recent software updates, I suggest this is easily fixed by having a user setting which allows the driver
to increase/decrease the sensitivity of the windscreen wiper sensor. The user preference could be saved to each drivers settings. If the current setting was
a default of 5 out of 10, I would set my sensitivity at 7 or 8 so that I can actually see where I am going in light rain.

Otherwise, why have an auto setting on wipers if they default to "don't work most of the time"????

Thanks for considering this important safety improvement for future updates.

These emails seem to get through (i.e. they do not bounce), so hopefully they should get the message. I had few issues with wipers for over 3 years, but now after a recent update they literally do not work. And yes, the windscreen is spotlessly clean. Whether something happens or not, is a different story, but visibility is a safety issue, and Tesla ignore such warnings at their own peril.

Upvote 0
I just sent my story to them. I don't expect an answer, but at least I've had my say. This is a safety feature which could hurt or kill someone if not put right.
via email to: [email protected], cc: [email protected]

Safety issue - windscreen wiper sensitivity

I have noticed with recent software updates that the windscreen wipers for my Tesla Model 3 (2019 model, VIN ---------) have noticeably less sensitivity to detecting rain on auto setting. This means they basically do not function until visibility is greatly impaired.

This is dangerous and given they worked well before recent software updates, I suggest this is easily fixed by having a user setting which allows the driver
to increase/decrease the sensitivity of the windscreen wiper sensor. The user preference could be saved to each drivers settings. If the current setting was
a default of 5 out of 10, I would set my sensitivity at 7 or 8 so that I can actually see where I am going in light rain.

Otherwise, why have an auto setting on wipers if they default to "don't work most of the time"????

Thanks for considering this important safety improvement for future updates.

These emails seem to get through (i.e. they do not bounce), so hopefully they should get the message. I had few issues with wipers for over 3 years, but now after a recent update they literally do not work. And yes, the windscreen is spotlessly clean. Whether something happens or not, is a different story, but visibility is a safety issue, and Tesla ignore such warnings at their own peril.
I think your email is accurate and should be complained about BUT I did chuckle in my head imagining this scenario -
"Guys, just had an email from Ben in Australia...
Auto wipers....
Sensitivity...
He's right, enough is enough, let's finally fix this issue!"

Upvote 0
I think your email is accurate and should be complained about BUT I did chuckle in my head imagining this scenario -
Or possibly this scenario:

Guys, someone took this email from Ben in Australia out of our spam folder for whatever reason.​
He says AutoWipers are not working well for him (chuckles while speaking).​
I’m taking a poll: how many of us should start working Ben’s issue? For those who volunteer, note you’ll be taken off the “Even More Cowbell” team and your completion bonus will be shared by those staying true to the mission.​
Yeah, that’s what I thought. G’day mates!​

Upvote 0
You can still use one of the manual settings, even if you can’t turn them off.
Be aware that when you have autopilot enabled, the car selects auto wipers. You don’t get a choice.
Note that this is no longer true as of a recent update. I have 2023.44.30.8 and can set them to Off when on FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
Upvote 0