Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the onscreen voice command button in V11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turn on the microphone for what?

if you mean for voice commands, I have no idea how you do it on the touch screen, because I have never once touched the touch screen to do a voice command to the car. I push the steering wheel button for that, and it hasnt changed. If not voice commands, perhaps say what you are trying to do.

to do voice commands. the previous software version had a little microphone icon on the left side of the touchscreen below the vehicle icon, next to ones for the camera and wipers (i think). it was very convenient. my concern is that continually pressing the button on the steering wheel will wear it out.

to do voice commands. the previous software version had a little microphone icon on the left side of the touchscreen below the vehicle icon, next to ones for the camera and wipers (i think). it was very convenient. my concern is that continually pressing the button on the steering wheel will wear it out.

I have had my model 3 since the end of 2018. The button is not worn out (and would be covered by the 4 year 50k mile warranty if it was). In all the time I have been reading here, I have not heard a single person post about wearing out the button due to using voice commands.

I dont think that is something you need to worry about.

i found a pic of the touchscreen, it's the one on the current tesla.com site actually. see the 3 icons there?
Model 3 Touchscreen.PNG

Yeah I see it, I never used it from there, and the tesla manual that is online does not have any reference to that for the new software.

(relevant text from the link above which is the online model 3 manual)

Using Voice Commands​

Voice commands are designed to understand natural requests. You can use voice commands to:
  • Call a contact.
  • Navigate to a location.
  • Listen to music.
  • Control various aspects of Model 3.
To initiate a voice command, press the right scroll button on the steering wheel. When you hear the tone, speak your command. As you speak, the touchscreen displays an interpretation of your command. It also displays tips to remind you of the type of commands you can speak. When you finish speaking the command, press the voice button again or simply wait.
  • To call a contact on your Bluetooth-connected phone, say “Call” or “Dial”, followed by the contact’s first and/or last name(s). For example, “Call Joe” or “Call Joe Smith”.
  • To search for, or navigate to, a location, say “Where is”, “Drive to”, or “Navigate to”, followed by an address, business name, business category, or landmark. For example, “Where is Stanford University?”, “Drive to Tesla in Palo Alto”, or “Navigate to Starbucks on Homestead in Cupertino”. If you have defined a navigation address for your home or work locations, you can use a voice command to navigate there by saying "Navigate home" or "Navigate to work".
  • To listen to an Internet music service, say “Listen to” or “Play”, followed by the name of the song, album, artist, or combination. To improve voice recognition accuracy, provide multiple cues in your command, such as artist plus song (for example, “Listen to Yellow Brick Road” or “Play Yellow Brick Road by Elton John”).
  • Control various aspects of Model 3 by speaking statements or commands. For example, "Speed up the wipers", "The screen is too bright", "Turn on the driver's seat heater", "I'm cold".