Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TouchScreen unresponsive on incomplete charge disconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla folks,

i am experiencing a weird new issue where the touchscreen doesn’t turn on when the car is unplugged from level 2 chargers before the charge limit has been reached. This has happened multiple times on 3 different level 2 chargers (work and home), using different J1772 to Tesla adapters. Home charging is inside work is outside, as this is a recent issue for me I can only comment on it occurring in 20-40f temperatures. I’m looking forward to when I can test it in warmer weather 😜

Typically my car has reached the intended charge status before I disconnect from the charging station, but I have recently had need to disconnect before charging is complete.

The sequence generating the issue is

1. Walk up to car and push the release button on the charge handle
2. Remove charge handle from the car
3. Open car door and get in

At this point the touch screen is totally off, reopening the door, getting out and back in to the car doesn’t wake up the system, so I can’t drive due to PIN to drive being active.

This is the same sequence I use every day.

The only way I’ve found to recover is to do the steering wheel buttons hole reset. It seems like you have to hold for forever as there is no indication that reset has stared, so I hold until the T reappears on the touchscreen

As an experiment yesterday I stopped charging from the app before getting to the car and following the same steps and the touchscreen woke up as normal. I did the experiment after I’d had to do the reset on an earlier disconnect.

2021 Model Y LR
SW 2023.44.30.8

just putting this out there as a PSA and wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Thanks!

You're disconnecting the J1772 adapter without telling the car to stop the charging session? That is HIGHLY discouraged. The release button on the J1772 is mechanical only and is only used to physically secure the cable to the car (or adapter in your case). You need to stop the flow of high current electricity through the connectors before disengaging them. The button on the Tesla cable stops the flow of electricity, then tells the car to release the cable.

The reason for this is to prevent high current arcing at the connector, which can lead to unnecessary wear and potentially fires. It's a big problem at RV sites and boat sites. Here's a picture I took of a 30A plug that apparently gets frequently disconnected without first turning off all the loads from the boat side.

PXL_20210827_012853993.jpg

Turn off the current draw before you disconnect cables. ESPECIALLY in high current applications. If you pull the cable away from the plug while current is flowing across, it will continue to push power even as the metal contacts separate, which will cause it to arc. That's exactly how an "arc welder" works.

Other than that, I don't know why the Tesla "infotainment" screen doesn't wake up in that condition. My car has had that issue a handful of times, both plugged in and not plugged in.

You're disconnecting the J1772 adapter without telling the car to stop the charging session? That is HIGHLY discouraged. The release button on the J1772 is mechanical only and is only used to physically secure the cable to the car (or adapter in your case). You need to stop the flow of high current electricity through the connectors before disengaging them. The button on the Tesla cable stops the flow of electricity, then tells the car to release the cable.

Totally disagree, at least for Tesla cars. Pressing the button tells the car to stop charging, I do it this way all the time - for years.Just look at the charging light on the Tesla and you will see this happens.

But if you want to be ultra safe, after pressing the button simply remove the J1772 plug and the adapter together, then separate them.

Last edited:

The reason for this is to prevent high current arcing at the connector, which can lead to unnecessary wear and potentially fires. It's a big problem at RV sites and boat sites. Here's a picture I took of a 30A plug that apparently gets frequently disconnected without first turning off all the loads from the boat side.

View attachment 1014956

Turn off the current draw before you disconnect cables. ESPECIALLY in high current applications. If you pull the cable away from the plug while current is flowing across, it will continue to push power even as the metal contacts separate, which will cause it to arc. That's exactly how an "arc welder" works.

Other than that, I don't know why the Tesla "infotainment" screen doesn't wake up in that condition. My car has had that issue a handful of times, both plugged in and not plugged in.
This is incorrect. I use an adapter lock so I can’t pull off the J1772 without also pulling out the adapter from the car. Pressing the release button on any J1772 I’ve used stops charging and the car releases the adapter just like with a Tesla plug.

Well that's news to me - I didn't realize pressing that button was at all connected to communication with the vehicle. Any I've ever used certainly didn't feel like they were involved in communication. I always stop the session at the car (either from the main screen or the app).

If you have an active charge session going with a J1772 adapter and press the button, do you see the car stop the charging session before you pull the J1772 cable out of the adapter?

View attachment 1014956

I’m not disconnecting that end obviously 🤣

Pushing the button on the charge handle makes the light on the car change color and releases the lock.