Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise with roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for those with Tesla Model 3 roof rack. I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere and I missed it.

How much additional wind noise do you hear on highway driving with the roof rack installed (no load)? I know that is tough to quantify in words, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it too much - the noise levels are only slightly higher. I haven't noticed extra whistling or turbulence, at least not enough for me to remove the bars.

i commute 50ish miles a day, mostly freeway, typically at 70mph, if that helps.

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

I now have to see if my 5’ 7” wife is tall enough to comfortably lift a bike over the car. She likes the hitch mount we have on our VW e-golf, but I am a little concerned that a bike mounted on a third party Model 3 hitch might confuse AP/FSD. Besides, I already have other T-slot roof mount accessories from another car I can use with Tesla roof mount.

How do you like the rack so far? What kind of loads to you mount on it?

Thank you. I appreciate your feedback.

I now have to see if my 5’ 7” wife is tall enough to comfortably lift a bike over the car. She likes the hitch mount we have on our VW e-golf, but I am a little concerned that a bike mounted on a third party Model 3 hitch might confuse AP/FSD. Besides, I already have other T-slot roof mount accessories from another car I can use with Tesla roof mount.

How do you like the rack so far? What kind of loads to you mount on it?
I have a question for those with Tesla Model 3 roof rack. I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere and I missed it.

How much additional wind noise do you hear on highway driving with the roof rack installed (no load)? I know that is tough to quantify in words, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

The OEM TESLA Roof rack and COPY made by TAPTES are very similar in design and sound generation. They both use a small rubber tube to fit in the channel to prevent a whistle. As soon as this tube compresses or gets soft, it begins to whistle. I purchased "Vortex Generating Strips" from "Rhino Rack", removed the rubber tube and installed the strips in the track. All noise resolved. I have the TAPTES rack on my car, and noticed the end caps do not secure well. I don't know if the TESLA caps are better or not. I live in AZ and the summer heat causes the plastic to soften, hence one of them is now missing. If anyone knows where I might be able to order a replacement right front end cap, I would be woefully appreciative!

They are only 400mm long, so you will need 6 of them...
#M626 - Vortex Generating Strip |

The OEM TESLA Roof rack and COPY made by TAPTES are very similar in design and sound generation. They both use a small rubber tube to fit in the channel to prevent a whistle. As soon as this tube compresses or gets soft, it begins to whistle. I my car, and noticed the end caps do not secure well. I don't know if the TESLA purchased "Vortex Generating Strips" from "Rhino Rack", removed the rubber tube and installed the strips in the track. All noise resolved. I have the TAPTES rack on caps are better or not. I live in AZ and the summer heat causes the plastic to soften, hence one of them is now missing. If anyone knows where I might be able to order a replacement right front end cap, I would be woefully appreciative!

They are only 400mm long, so you will need 6 of them...
#M626 - Vortex Generating Strip |

I was able to get in touch with [email protected] at TAPTES about my missing cap. Communication is going slow, but it sounds like I might be able to get one. I have also asked if I can purchase and extra set, for when another one falls off. I also suggested they made them available to buy on the web site.

Last edited by a moderator: