Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y OEM Roof Rack - Whistling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Been a member since my purchase of a MYP in 2022 and so far, the drive and everything about the Tesla has been great. I recently pulled the trigger on the Tesla OEM roof rack, and sad to report, it has been the most disappointing Tesla experience ever.

The install was simple. Once I had the roof rack installed, I suddenly noticed more wind noise and a very noticeable whistling at 50 mph and above. Strangely, when it rains, the whistling is faint/ almost nonexistent. Have any of you encountered this? Looking for some thoughts/solutions as I love having the roof rack on to distinguish my car among the 100+ MYP that I drive by daily, but the noise is a very distracting and annoying element.

I don't have a roof rack for my M-Y but all are noisy I have used many roof racks on several cars and SUVs. I have tried a lot of racks, OEM Toyota, Yakima, and no brand, they all create wind noise. As result I remove them when not in use, and live with them when carrying skis or bikes.

I had the roof rack installed at my local service center last Saturday. I was leery of any potential noises which is why I had the installation performed by my Service Center. I’m happy to report that I have not encountered any “whistling” or additional wind noises (I’ve listened for whistling up to 80mph).

I’m sorry to hear that your experience is not the same.

According to a very good model y road warrior Bryan Hauer the roof rack and Thule box or ski rack attachment iare a 25-35% range loss during a trip
The hitch box behind the vehicle and low is a negligible range loss

Cross bars and my bike rack didn't change my range much, at least not compared to slowing down. Ski rack is approx 360kWh at 70mph. YMMV, do your own research. I did mine.

Folks (including me) have put some of these rubber wind vortex strip things in the racks and had good luck reducing the whistling.

There are a few threads on this here, but here's a direct link to what I used (bought 4-6 of these) removed the OEM rubber insert

Did you find it was quieter than OEM? I don't feel like the OEM strip is that loud.