Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window cracked on driver side.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MY driver side window cracked and started more cracking after we drove off slowly. It happened on August 4th at 7 pm after we parked the car under the sun for 1 hour. We entered the car and my wife couldn't shut the front door so she tried a little harder and bang it cracked right where the window guard met the driver side mirror. I was afraid it would cracked more if I drive more. I realized the window rolled pass the top and came in contact with the top part of the body. Upon further examination, the window guard was out of alignment by about 0.1 in or 3 mm not flushed with the door, see picture , because of that the window went past the intended rail. Having an emergency appt with Vancouver service centre thanks to someone's cancellation, otherwise it is Aug 26th the earliest. This appt is just a preliminary, hope they have the part for MY front laminated window. Under warranty ?? dont know yet

Attachments

• tesla window.jpg
    tesla window.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 437
  • tesla cracked.jpg
    tesla cracked.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 375
  • cracked Model Y.jpg
    cracked Model Y.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 243
Is it possible the driver opened the door using the emergency release rather than the "open" button?

If you do this, the window does not slightly retract and will impact the trim when you close the door.

In your third picture, it appears to me that you have some damage to the black trim right where the crack originated.

Reactions: avs007
Is it possible the driver opened the door using the emergency release rather than the "open" button?

If you do this, the window does not slightly retract and will impact the trim when you close the door.

In your third picture, it appears to me that you have some damage to the black trim right where the crack originated.
I heard that the software has been updated so emergency door release will also lower the window when the car is powered. It will only do the dumb thing when the car battery is completely dead.

Yap, needs some black paint later on. It happened after we got in the car, she attempted to close the door and I think the window rolled up following the guard that's slightly popped out by 2 to 3mm. I noticed the driver side guard wasn't in good workmanship months ago but never paid much attention that it would lead to this fiasco