Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Rec for Bay Area Refresh S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new MSLR 19” the other day. (It’s awesome! I posted about it on the LR thread.) Tesla promised me it would come with all season tires but of course they delivered it with the Pirelli PZ4 summers.

I live in the CA Bay Area where winter temps are usually in the 50s and 60s, but I’ll spend at least a month in Tahoe and I think I should have winter tires on the car, particularly since there aren’t chains available for the new S. Does anyone have a winter tire recommendation that would be ok for a mix of 2-3 months of driving in a moderate climate and a month or so in a cold, snowy climate? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Should I just put all seasons on it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do a lot of driving on hwy 88, 395, and 50 up in Nor-Cal/NV and i have been using Pirelli Sotozero II for my winter tires and they work amazing in the CA snow. Yes i have a 2014, but its still a heavy ass car with AWD so there isn't much of a difference in that aspect.
Whenever i get to one of the Caltrans checkpoints they used to just wave Teslas by, but now they ask if you're AWD w/ snow tires, even had a couple of them look for the mountain snowflake logo on the tires before letting me pass, (but its usually really shitty outside when they look for the logo).

I only use these as winters and have a second set of rims for my summers. But damn they are great and they stick to the road amazingly.

• Informative
Reactions: dschol
I run Continental DWS06 tires on all of my Model S cars year round. I live at the base of the Rocky Mountains in Northern Colorado to give you an idea on climate. I love these tires. I've run them (or previous versions of them) going on two decades now and every time I try something else I'm disappointed. Do a search and you'll see some threads on this very tire here on the forum with lots of people offering first-hand-accounts. Spoiler: they're all positive.

Your car, your money. Do whatchalike.

• Informative
I'm in South San Jose. 2021 MS LR Refreshed. I drive once a month to Los Angeles over the Grapevine. I ended up getting the Conti ProContact RX with the acoustic foam. Going to Tahoe in January. I threw my P-Zeros in storage until I can find some 19" takeoffs or I need them in Spring 2023 or something.

• Informative
I got my new MSLR 19” the other day. (It’s awesome! I posted about it on the LR thread.) Tesla promised me it would come with all season tires but of course they delivered it with the Pirelli PZ4 summers.

I live in the CA Bay Area where winter temps are usually in the 50s and 60s, but I’ll spend at least a month in Tahoe and I think I should have winter tires on the car, particularly since there aren’t chains available for the new S. Does anyone have a winter tire recommendation that would be ok for a mix of 2-3 months of driving in a moderate climate and a month or so in a cold, snowy climate? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Should I just put all seasons on it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
And chains are available.

I bought it for my upcoming Tahoe trip (just in case). Haven't tested it yet. Both etrailer and Konig corporate says they'll work. Tesla manual says use K-Summits.

• Informative
And chains are available.

I bought it for my upcoming Tahoe trip (just in case). Haven't tested it yet. Both etrailer and Konig corporate says they'll work. Tesla manual says use K-Summits.
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. Super helpful. And it would make sense that these chains would work on the Refresh S given that the K-Summit K45 are what Tesla sells for the pre-refresh S. I'll call Tesla and see if I can get them to confirm that these will work. If they will, I'll probably just switch to all season tires and carry the chains around for when the roads are really bad.

In other news, I called my local SC today to ask them if they could swap out or sell me winter tires. I also told them I was surprised to find summers on my car as I had been told it would come with all seasons. Shockingly, they offered to swap mine out for the all seasons at no cost, so I think I'll take them up on that. But they won't have them in stock for a few weeks.

So now my problem is what to do if I want to drive to Tahoe before the all seasons arrive... hmmmmm...

Reactions: wornout
Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. Super helpful. And it would make sense that these chains would work on the Refresh S given that the K-Summit K45 are what Tesla sells for the pre-refresh S. I'll call Tesla and see if I can get them to confirm that these will work. If they will, I'll probably just switch to all season tires and carry the chains around for when the roads are really bad.

In other news, I called my local SC today to ask them if they could swap out or sell me winter tires. I also told them I was surprised to find summers on my car as I had been told it would come with all seasons. Shockingly, they offered to swap mine out for the all seasons at no cost, so I think I'll take them up on that. But they won't have them in stock for a few weeks.

So now my problem is what to do if I want to drive to Tahoe before the all seasons arrive... hmmmmm...
I can barely get the time of day from my SC so I didn't even bother asking. Pretty cool!

Yeah, K45s I meant for 245/40/19 and K55s are for 285/40R19. This is what Konig corporate said.

thank you for contacting us.

We confirm you the compatibility of K-Summit K55 with your Tesla S with 285/40R19 tyre size.

We invite you to visit our Youtube channel at the following link
where you can see a assembly instruction video.

For any other information we remain available for you,
Customer Care König S.p.A.
Via Pescone, 9 23867 Suello (LC), Italy
[email protected]
www.konigchain.com

And the retailer:

Thank you for asking the following question:
Hello! I have the refreshed 2021 September Tesla Model S Long Range. My rear tires are 285/40R-19. When searching Konigs website for 2021 Tesla Model S, there arent any compatible products. However, when searching Konigs website for 285/40R-19, it says König K-Summit K55 would fit. Do you know if the K55 would fit? Is fitment just as simple as matching tire size? Thanks!

You asked a great question, so I made an answer page for you with additional information. You can see it here:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-579838.html?fb=yes

If you have any other questions please call 1-800-298-8924 to speak to one of our Customer Service representatives.
Thank You,
Jameson C
https://www.etrailer.com
Web page question was asked on:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-th02230k55.html

Disclaimer: I've never been in the snow, driven in snow, or put in snow chains. I just wanted to be prepared for our January Tahoe trip.

Get the All Weather tires.

Nokian WRG4, Michelin CrossClimate2, or Vredestein Quatrac had been talked about here many times.

I had a set of Nokian before on a fwd car. Great in winter (snow and ice) and survived the Bay Area summers.

And since these tires have the snow/mountain symbol, your AWD car will not need chains if needed in R2 around Tahoe. I have never heard of roads open in R3 snow conditions.
Lea

Reactions: dschol and adspguy
I can barely get the time of day from my SC so I didn't even bother asking. Pretty cool!

Yeah, K45s I meant for 245/40/19 and K55s are for 285/40R19. This is what Konig corporate said.

thank you for contacting us.

And the retailer:

Disclaimer: I've never been in the snow, driven in snow, or put in snow chains. I just wanted to be prepared for our January Tahoe trip.
May I know which SC did you talk to? I am also living in Bay Area and my local SC told me I have to purchase a new set of All season tire, and also service center are stopping to tire service so I need to get the replaced tire mounted at third-party store.

May I know which SC did you talk to? I am also living in Bay Area and my local SC told me I have to purchase a new set of All season tire, and also service center are stopping to tire service so I need to get the replaced tire mounted at third-party store.

I think you quoted the wrong guy, haha. I don't have too much confidence in my SC so I just bought all seasons on my own and threw my PZeros in storage.

I answered someone last week of the same question from the Bay Area.

Have you look for All Weather tires? They are good for snow in the winter and okay to use in the summer.

I know of Nokian WRG4, Michelin CrossClimate2, and Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires. These have the 3pms logo. These tires are good for R2 condition with AWD without chain for CalTrans.