Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB - Making that Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Therodista

Jan 20, 2020
Sc
Hey everyone,

thought about purchasing a new long range model 3 or a used model S.

current wheels would be a 2016 Miata (roughly 300 miles per fill up).

some questions I’ve thought of on the Journey to a Tesla

What would I be missing out on if I did buy a used model S (generally see a performance 2013-14) versus a mode long range mode
3?

say I do purchase a used model S, does it still come with free supercharging?

how much battery degradation has occurred?
best info I can find on a mode S says at 100% charge you’d get 265 miles. Meaning I’d get about 212 at 80% charge.

Did everyone find the transition pretty easy to an EV?

80% of the time I’m drive at most 15 miles in a day, I do like to take road trips, hiking etc.
Even though those two models are the most appealing I feel like a good chunk of time the plain jane model 3.

-Thank you!

Lots of info on this site if you search, but the main differences from S to 3 would be along these lines:

S - hatchback, wider, longer, bigger screen, instrument panel, maybe air suspension, maybe heated steering wheel (sub-zero package)
3 - trunk, smaller, more maneuverable, new battery chemistry, faster Supercharging, cup holders, adjustable seatbelt height settings (one of my personal pet peeves about my S)

Depending on what you're looking at for an S, it may or may not come with free Supercharging, and may or may not have a warranty. Be sure to check with whoever you'd be buying it from.

The LR 3 will have longer range than an older S85 but won't accelerate as quickly.

If you have a way to charge at home on 240V power, the change to an EV is pretty seamless. If you're trying to use local Supercharging or other free chargers, or just plugging in to 120V, it might be more of a challenge although at 15 miles per day you'd be able to charge off 120V without too much trouble.

Really it comes down to the other factors of what you're looking for in a vehicle. The 3 will be more Miata-like in terms of size and handling, the S holds enough stuff to replace an SUV in most cases. If possible drive both so you get a feel for the driving differences and see if one or the other appeals to you more. Both are outstanding EVs.

Everything else being even and purchase prices being equivalent, I'd probably go for the 3 just for the sake of having the warranty coverage. Remember, you're still on the early part of the adoption curve and these cars are by no means perfected so be prepared for some hiccups no matter which you choose.

Good luck with your decision!

• Informative
Reactions: Mysta
Thank you! This was helpful, TMC has been helpful as I find answers to questions I didn’t think to ask.
The warranty is a good point, I was able to drive a model 3 and tried hard to not make any decisions after the fact just to make sure I wasn’t riding a high. It is a laughable distance to travel each day and then worry about distance but I do find driving therapeutic.