Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S VS 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I'm debating whether to purchase a 2017 Model S 75D or a 2022 Model 3 Long Range. I drive about 50 miles a week and I live in a cold climate. I like to take road trips occasionally that are 300+ miles.

Model S Pros:
Luxurious
Better exterior styling
Better ride
Better warranty

Model S Cons:
Significantly less range
Known faults that may be costly to repair
No heat pump

Model 3 Pros:
Car has more life left in in (2022 model year vs 2017 model year)
Significantly more range (330mi vs 240mi)
Heat pump

Model 3 Cons:
Higher mileage (ones I'm looking at)
Exterior styling is not as good as the S
Not the same premium feel as the S

If anyone owns either of these cars or has helpful advice, could you help me out? I've seen one Model S with 50,000 miles and a Model 3 with 65,000 miles for the same price. The Model 3 has way more range than the S, but it lacks in styling.

Thank you!
1710343815135.png
1710343834674.png

Even with the superior exterior styling and more premium feel of the S, I think it would be the better decision to go with the 3. The range is my primary concern with the S, and it doesn't really compare to the 3.

SneepeZ, you are 100% right about the range in the cold. The 2017 Model S unfortunately does not have the heat pump found in the later model years of Tesla cars. If I could buy new I would go S 100%!

Reactions: SneepeZ
Even with the superior exterior styling and more premium feel of the S, I think it would be the better decision to go with the 3. The range is my primary concern with the S, and it doesn't really compare to the 3.

SneepeZ, you are 100% right about the range in the cold. The 2017 Model S unfortunately does not have the heat pump found in the later model years of Tesla cars. If I could buy new I would go S 100%!
Good luck on your purchase! Really can't go wrong either way. No more dealing with quarterly oil changes and weekly visits to the gas station are my favorite part of ev ownership. Also, there are so many free charging options that I only spent about $80 the past 12 months on paid charging. I was previously spending about $400/month filling up a V8 sedan. Get the Plugshare app and you can see if there are free chargers in your area. Never going back to gas again!