Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: Model 3 P3D / Reasonable ones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a Model 3 P3D, not wanting to spend more than a new one. Whole point I'm looking for a used one is to save some $$$ on it by taking some miles and losing the tax credit.

VMK4QQ6.png

Anybody know of any out there? I don't want rims, vinyl wraps, carbon fiber door handles, etc etc thinking that makes it worth more than a new one.

Thanks guys!

Your about a year early in my opinion for any significant savings. Keep in mind that, for most people with Model 3 Ps, they paid somewhere north of 70K for them, and the cars are less than 1 year old.

If you want a "deal" you are likely going to find a deal on one with an accident history if you want that. Other than that, just buy a new one or wait a year to a year and half, and then there should be deals on them.

Maybe you would get lucky but I doubt it.

Good luck! I've also been looking to buy a used Model 3 for the past few months, but asking prices on used ones are generally unreasonable. Sellers generally think they can get year 2019 new car prices for their year 2018 used cars. I suspect you may just need to wait a few months though, because I see a lot of cars out there that aren't selling, so maybe sellers will come to terms with reality on pricing at some point. I don't see many performance models for sale though, so that could be a different story.

BTW Op what you really should be looking for is demo / units with miles from tesla itself. There have been reports here on TMC of people getting discounts on those, and for some, pretty significant discounts (of course, same thing applies.. if the car is a 2018 that tesla still has there is some reason they still have it... but it can be a deal if price is the focus).

Using myself as an example, in december of last year I paid 70,500 before taxes and destination etc for my model 3P with EAP. After tax and everything the price was like 77k. I have had the car 6 months. I also got a 7500 tax credit, 2500 from california, and and about 1k in other rebates.... so 66k after all that.

Most people who bought Model 3Ps would have similar cash outlay, just did they purchase EAP / FSD or not. Not much incentive to lower the price "a lot" and there is not another model 3 to trade up into (unlike MR or LR rwd buyers who may want AWD or a P version.

There are not going to be a lot of Model 3Ps used that have no history... at least not from anyone other than tesla. I would CLOSELY examine any one you are considering. The people switching out of them would be either going to a bigger tesla, or getting out because they made a mistake, and hate the car.

Your best bet is actually waiting till right around the release of the model Y as there likely will be model 3p owners who want the model y because "crossover" or "higher riding height".

Deals will likely be had then. If you are not in a rush, thats the time to look.

Reactions: myt-e-s-l-a
Good luck! I've also been looking to buy a used Model 3 for the past few months, but asking prices on used ones are generally unreasonable. Sellers generally think they can get year 2019 new car prices for their year 2018 used cars. I suspect you may just need to wait a few months though, because I see a lot of cars out there that aren't selling, so maybe sellers will come to terms with reality on pricing at some point. I don't see many performance models for sale though, so that could be a different story.

When you can trade-in for more then what the used market wants to pay lowball buyers are not going to get the cars. it'll swing the other way eventually but for now dealers are offering good trade in values on the Model 3 when stacked with sales tax savings.

Buyers looking for a good deal are quick to point out that you may have gotten a tax credit, however they don't take into account that if you trade in a car for another one in many states you save on the delta in sales tax which is several thousand dollars. Private sales need to be higher to take into account the loss of the trade in tax bonus.

Example: Dealer offers me 42k for a LR RWD and I save sales tax on 42k of the car I'm trading into. That's $2730 in my area (6.5%) meaning I can't sell it for less then $44730 to a private party without having made a bad decision. The dealer sale is also way easier then private party so that 42K car needs to be sold for 45k to make it worth the hassle.

End result, car goes to the dealer for 42k they mark it up to 46k and the lowball buyers pay the same regardless.

P.S.
If anyone wants a Red LR RWD with FSD, 20in wheels and 10k miles in Texas I'll sell you one for $44,730 or else it's going to the dealer. :p

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: byeLT4
The end of the last quarter Tesla was selling Performance 3’s in the mid to low $50’s. I had put a deposit on a 50 mile red/white P3, in the end canceled it because I just couldn’t give up that need for power and stepped up and bought another new Performance S. I’d look for a good deal on a new inventory car unless you buy a used one in the low 40’s, I’ve seen them advertised in that range but for not much more you can have new.