Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL ppf maintenance, products and methods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
71DE9A9A-35B3-48B7-8CAE-2E5CAD4FBA30.jpeg
The Model 3 has full XPEL wrap. But I don’t know how to clean and maintain it. I’ve read that avoiding automatic car wash is necessary and wise. But how do I maintain a clean shiny car in the winter in Michigan, or even in the Summer?

The installer suggested Eagle One Wipe and Shine Detailer and Lucas Slick Mist Wax. I think the Eagle One is for spot cleaning on the ppf, bugs, light dirt. The Lucas Slick Mist is a dehydrating agent with hydrophobic wax for drying the car after washing it. He also suggested XPEL car wax as a seasonal application. And yeah, I’ve got 36 microfiber towels from Costco. I couldn’t resist.

Finally, I’ve found Invisible Glass cleaner for all the glass on the car. That works well and is easy to use, spray bottle for exterior and the foam can for interior use so the glass cleaner stays where you want it to.

So I’ve found a self car wash that has a low power sprayer, but I’m worried about the soap used commercially on the ppf so I only use water to slightly clean the car. Then back in the garage,where I use Eagle One detailer and microfiber towels to clean the remaining dirt. Perhaps I should use the soap and the apply Lucas Mist to dry it with microfiber towels?

I think I’ll have to wait for warm weather to see how the XPEL wax works.

Basically, how should I maintain XPEL on a Tesla ?

“You can find some answers on Xpel's website Frequently Asked Questions - XPEL Technologies Corp

Yeah, they only recommend XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant and to avoid 5% naphtha and kerosene. Those seem like strange ingredients in a car cleaner... but I’ll avoid them!

Interestingly, they say automatic car washes with ppf are ok, which seems risky considering how many different automatic wash methods there are. I’d worry that some could peel the ppf.

I just got my car back from full XPEL Ultimate PPF today and I ordered CQuartz off of Amazon for $85. If you can wash and wax your car you can apply CQuartz or a similar ceramic coat yourself with a reload/reapplication annually to keep the high lustre shine and protection to the PPF. There are plenty of DIY youtube videos to apply CQuartz.

The detailing shops near me want more than $1K to apply ceramic coatings.