Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y RWD and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my research model Y
RWD is LFP MIC
AWD is NCMA made by LG also MIC

Is there any downside to LG? In the past LG has not had the best rep of battery reliably based on (GM) other brand history. Has tesla worked with LG for a while are they good ?

Personally I wish it was LFP with same long range performance.

***** Also do we know when HW4 will start shipping with with Canadian model Y’s *****

Tesla has used LG cells for as long as Giga Shanghai has been running. All MIC cars have either LG 2170 NMC cells or CATL LFP.

LG has had problems with some of their pouch cells used by other manufacturers (mostly ones made in Korea) but I haven’t heard of any issues with cylindrical cells.

Reactions: richyrich and bpjod
Tesla has used LG cells for as long as Giga Shanghai has been running. All MIC cars have either LG 2170 NMC cells or CATL LFP.

LG has had problems with some of their pouch cells used by other manufacturers (mostly ones made in Korea) but I haven’t heard of any issues with cylindrical cells.
Good to know !!!
Is it worth waiting for the Hardware 4 ? Since it’s around the corner and some units have received it already.

I'm on the fence about the Shanghai sourced cars. Smaller battery 79kwhr bs 82kwhr and unknown Canadian climate performance. My X5 is tentatively sold, and I was going to replace it with another model Y, but I'm leaning towards the IX now.

I'm on the fence about the Shanghai sourced cars. Smaller battery 79kwhr bs 82kwhr and unknown Canadian climate performance. My X5 is tentatively sold, and I was going to replace it with another model Y, but I'm leaning towards the IX now.

According This, "Based on reports from Europe, which has for years received cars built in China, it also charges slower, but it has better performance in cold weather and degrades slower than the Panasonic packs."

Trust me, this is what I experienced my M3 and MY in Shanghai, My M3P in Shanghai is imported from US and uses Panasonic battery, and my MY is MIC and uses LG battery. Panasonic battery degraded 10% in about 4 years..

Reactions: richyrich
According This, "Based on reports from Europe, which has for years received cars built in China, it also charges slower, but it has better performance in cold weather and degrades slower than the Panasonic packs."

Trust me, this is what I experienced my M3 and MY in Shanghai, My M3P in Shanghai is imported from US and uses Panasonic battery, and my MY is MIC and uses LG battery. Panasonic battery degraded 10% in about 4 years..
Do we know how much slower it charges?

From my research model Y
RWD is LFP MIC
AWD is NCMA made by LG also MIC

Is there any downside to LG? In the past LG has not had the best rep of battery reliably based on (GM) other brand history. Has tesla worked with LG for a while are they good ?

Personally I wish it was LFP with same long range performance.

***** Also do we know when HW4 will start shipping with with Canadian model Y’s *****
So, AWD can only charge to 90% for daily use, RWD to 100%?

Shanghai cars have the best build quality of any Tesla world wide, still have parking sensors and the CATL LFP batteries are holding up well, only 4% range loss after 150,000 miles. (Plus you can charge to 100% and generally abuse them) Major downside is not AWD and not that fast up until about 30 mph, plenty fast enough above that though.

Shanghai cars have the best build quality of any Tesla world wide, still have parking sensors and the CATL LFP batteries are holding up well, only 4% range loss after 150,000 miles. (Plus you can charge to 100% and generally abuse them) Major downside is not AWD and not that fast up until about 30 mph, plenty fast enough above that though.
According to Tesla website, Tesla using Vision. USS has been phased out across the world.

Reactions: richyrich