Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y SR Heating Power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Y AWD. Amazing car.

We need a second car for around town. Eyeing an Y SR. However I live in the cold land, and my big worry is heating.

I know my AWD uses the front motor a LOT to make heat to feed the heatpump. It works perfectly and am happy. My question is - how does this work with 1 motor? Is there a resister in the place of the motor? Does the SR have another backup plan to generate heat for the heat pump? Has anyone measured say time to cabin 70F between an AWD and a SR with a heatpump?

I can’t talk in terms of how it works, but my SR gets plenty warm and it has been down to 15 degrees here in the winter. My only complaint is the climate control is not as good as my Toyota was, and my feet get a little cold when it dials back the temperature automatically.

I can’t talk in terms of how it works, but my SR gets plenty warm and it has been down to 15 degrees here in the winter. My only complaint is the climate control is not as good as my Toyota was, and my feet get a little cold when it dials back the temperature automatically.

You have a SRY with a heat pump?

Excellent. Your second thing is I suspect the same as my AWD. Not looking for it to be "better", just "as good as AWD" at making heat.

Whenever I feel my feet getting a little cold, I set the left side to a warmer temperature (if alone in car) and reroute all flow to the lower registers manually via the screen settings, until things feel okay. Eventually I go back to auto.

Yes, I have a SR Model Y. To the person that was asking if the AC was powerful I am not sure, only the heat has been used so far. It is plenty powerful, I would say the quality of the climate control was not as good as my Toyota. I have to adjust the settings up or down more often, not really as much of a set it and forget it. Thanks for the foot tip, I will have to try that next time!

Reactions: MrTuna