Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow bands of death can disable some touchscreen controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that is the issue then there are ways to detach the digitizer from LCD and repair. It is big...but the digitizer can even stay with no glue. Heck will look better than the one with yellow. Anybody repairing phones or tablets could do it. Heat and floss. Highly possible to damage the lcd.

If that is the issue then there are ways to detach the digitizer from LCD and repair. It is big...but the digitizer can even stay with no glue. Heck will look better than the one with yellow. Anybody repairing phones or tablets could do it. Heat and floss. Highly possible to damage the lcd.

It's a big job to remove all the trim carefully to get to the display though and you might damage or scratch something in the process.

This should be a warranty repair.

Do we know for a fact that cars they are shipping now have the screen yellowing issue fixed? If so, they can;t claim any more that they are working on a fix.

It's a big job to remove all the trim carefully to get to the display though and you might damage or scratch something in the process.

This should be a warranty repair.

Do we know for a fact that cars they are shipping now have the screen yellowing issue fixed? If so, they can;t claim any more that they are working on a fix.

I was told that the screen I purchased (ugh) today was "the revision that Tesla believes will not yellow". I'll report back here.

I watched for the entire process. It was painful. No new rattles (so far) but my dash pad is a few mm less flush than it was. To be fair this probably had nothing to do with the skill of the installer; I mean maybe he could have inflated the air bags they use to bend up the pad a bit less; but the process is harrowing. You get what you pay for, right? Oh wait...

I was told that the screen I purchased (ugh) today was "the revision that Tesla believes will not yellow". I'll report back here.

Check out this link: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

This link indicates that replacement microcomputers and screens have a 4 year warranty. You may wish to print out this parts warranty and keep it someplace safe just in case the warranty page gets revised or deleted in the future.

Btw, this link also indicates that replacement Drive Units and HV Batteries have a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first.

You indicate that your replacement screen is a Revision C. I have asked the person that said he got a Revision D screen whether he had just the screen replaced or the MCU too, and asked for the complete part number. Waiting for reply.

Further to my post #67 above, the person I contacted about the revision of his screen wrote back and told me he only had the screen replaced and NOT the MCU with the screen. He then stated that he examined the actual screen before it was installed and it indicated that the revision was Revision D, but that the Tesla paperwork lists a Revision C screen.

Michidragon, did you examine the actual screen that was installed in your car, or are you simply going off the Tesla paperwork? It appears there may be a discrepancy between what screen was installed (at least for one person) and what part number Tesla is listing on the paperwork. Which further muddies the water with respect to which screen fixes the yellow border issue.

Michidragon, did you examine the actual screen that was installed in your car, or are you simply going off the Tesla paperwork? It appears there may be a discrepancy between what screen was installed (at least for one person) and what part number Tesla is listing on the paperwork. Which further muddies the water with respect to which screen fixes the yellow border issue.

1078118-00-D removed, 1084333-00-C indicated on paperwork, 1084333-00-C installed. (Took picture of the label on the screen coming out and going in.) Can you check with your friend what the prefix of his screen was? (the full part number?)

1078118-00-D removed, 1084333-00-C indicated on paperwork, 1084333-00-C installed. (Took picture of the label on the screen coming out and going in.) Can you check with your friend what the prefix of his screen was? (the full part number?)

Are you going to do anything to get reimbursed for this somehow?

You paid to have a defective part replaced that should have been fixed under warranty.

Reactions: sdoorex
Are you going to do anything to get reimbursed for this somehow?

You paid to have a defective part replaced that should have been fixed under warranty.

At this point I'm not sure what path I would take to do so. Dispute the credit card charge? What would Tesla do in retaliation? Small claims, some people say, but is this even a sure-shot sort of thing. Yeah, I'm interested in doing so, but at this point I'm not sure what the approach should be.

I do feel I'm in the right. This car is new. The yellowing was apparent < 90 days in. I paid for what should have been the warranty rectification. As it stands there IS NO FIX besides replacement, just promises with vague timelines. So its not like there was a repair alternative. I believe under warranty Tesla gets to decide repair or replace, but I do not believe they can say "Repair not replace and wait indefinitely for that repair because we don't want to pay to replace."

Just heard, from the service rep in calif, today that Tesla will not be replacing the screens for the yellow border but instead, starting sometime in July, they will use ultraviolet light to burn the monitor which will make the yellow border less visible to the human eye.

Just heard, from the service rep in calif, today that Tesla will not be replacing the screens for the yellow border but instead, starting sometime in July, they will use ultraviolet light to burn the monitor which will make the yellow border less visible to the human eye.

California is a big state, what city/location? We should start to name the service centers where we are getting information so we can identify who’s saying what

First tip to get your screen replaced is to stop calling it the yellow screen of death. Way to dramatic.
Overstating the devastating effect of the yellow band will not give you the results you desire.

Indeed, your yellow bands seem to be more evident than others. Perhaps getting a manager to take a look might have them agreeing to a replacement.

Problem is that currently they have no real permenant solution. Some that have had screens replaced see them again yellowing with the passage of time.

Changing out the screen is not a simple task. Parts can be bent, marred or scratched, extending the time getting your car back to you.

If the rumor that they have found a solution to those yellow bands, then perhaps giving them a little time might end up with a solution as well.

I have a 2018 P100D delivered on 12/1718. I just noticed I have the yellow border on my screen as well. My car has 12000 miles and NEVER sits out in the sun on any occasion. Always garaged and covered parking. I am not happy!

I watched for the entire process. It was painful. No new rattles (so far) but my dash pad is a few mm less flush than it was. To be fair this probably had nothing to do with the skill of the installer; I mean maybe he could have inflated the air bags they use to bend up the pad a bit less; but the process is harrowing. You get what you pay for, right? Oh wait...

Did Tesla give you any indication that they would cover replacement of this new screen if it yellows?