Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellowing of SMART repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Approximately a year ago I had a pretty nasty stone chip repaired on the front of my 21 M3 by a mobile SMART repairer. It seems now that the area that has been repaired has started to yellow (see image - ignore the dirt). Just wondering whether anyone has any advice or similar experience as to whether the paint itself is yellowing or the clear coat is. It's a fairly annoying issue as I was initially really pleased with the match and it was legitimately impossible to tell where the repair had been done. Plus the repair was significantly cheaper than the quote Tesla gave me; in hindsight I probably should of gone with Tesla :rolleyes:.

Either way has anyone got any recommendations for a body shop or repairer to rectify this in the Somerset/Bath/Bristol area?

M3 Yellowing.jpg

I presume as you haven't cleaned the area you haven't tried polishing it. AutoGlym resin polish is mildly abrasive and should be good enough to remove it if its a stain or yellowing of the clearcoat. Cant say I've ever heard of car paint going yellow before.
A quick wipe wont be good enough - polish in straight lines and spend at least 10 minutes on the area, then buff up, If its fixed the issue now is the time to add a good wax to the surface to protect it.

Reactions: M3LR_03
I presume as you haven't cleaned the area you haven't tried polishing it. AutoGlym resin polish is mildly abrasive and should be good enough to remove it if its a stain or yellowing of the clearcoat. Cant say I've ever heard of car paint going yellow before.
A quick wipe wont be good enough - polish in straight lines and spend at least 10 minutes on the area, then buff up, If its fixed the issue now is the time to add a good wax to the surface to protect it.
The last time the car was cleaned I did give it a go with the clay bar and did intend on following it up with a polish, although I never got around to it. I'll spend some more time this weekend doing a better job and a polish and hopefully that will sort it. Thanks :)