Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD didn't respond to a near miss. You can see the FSD supervisor stomps on the brakes ~1sec after the car begins turning into path and well before FSD is able to respond. Almost certainly if she didn't respond that quick it would've been an accident. The UI isn't the best indicator but the car of interest never changes color. FSD doesn't command steering changes or deceleration. Another poor showing for FSD being safer than a human driver!

Reactions: replicant
FSD didn't respond to a near miss. You can see the FSD supervisor stomps on the brakes ~1sec after the car begins turning into path and well before FSD is able to respond. Almost certainly if she didn't respond that quick it would've been an accident. The UI isn't the best indicator but the car of interest never changes color. FSD doesn't command steering changes or deceleration. Another poor showing for FSD being safer than a human driver!

Your observations are not accurate.

Driver specifically cites FSD was responding, they just intervened out of abundance of caution (and several folks pointed out you can see this in the bar on screen)

Another example of how a human driver would have slowed earlier if they had been driving.

As has been pointed out, FSD was extremely slow to respond. Way slower than the human (who detected, but did not respond)!

Another example of how a human driver would have slowed earlier if they had been driving.

As has been pointed out, FSD was extremely slow to respond. Way slower than the human (who detected, but did not respond)!
True but one of the things FSD can do is slow only the amount NEEDED and not over react. FSD has no passion and is only interest in not having a collision. We humans tend to over react. We often see it seeming to cut too close to a trash can, car or other object but it clears the obstacle and that is really all it needs to do.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
True but one of the things FSD can do is slow only the amount NEEDED and not over react. FSD has no passion and is only interest in not having a collision. We humans tend to over react. We often see it seeming to cut too close to a trash can, car or other object but it clears the obstacle and that is really all it needs to do.
All that was necessary here was to ease off gently. That is what I would have done. I might have honked. Maybe.

Early response leads to massive margins. This was clearly an issue way in advance and just easing off would have worked great.

Certainly there was no need for brakes here. Of course there was massive braking from FSD here (you don't see it here because the driver has blended regen/friction braking turned off).

Last edited:
All that was necessary here was to ease off gently. That is what I would have done. I might have honked. Maybe.

Early response leads to massive margins. This was clearly an issue way in advance and just easing off would have worked great.

Certainly there was no need for brakes here.
As she was looking anywhere But the road and clearly did not have her hands anywhere on the wheel I give FSD credit for a poor driver supervisor.

Just for kicks it is still on FSDS until after this Frame. The car's front end is driving down and she is moving forward so it was responding. You can't read the speed. Also its starts driving down as soon as the car crosses the lane marking.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 12.33.11 PM.png

I'm still at the point where I'm impressed that you can have that conversation with it, right or wrong. Criminy, I started out on punched cards and batch jobs on mainframe computers that printed results on fan fold paper.
Yup, been there done that. Part of the experience was waiting for your program to be run--and realizing you had one typo. Then you got to go through the whole thing again, waiting for the next run while all of your friends were at the best kegger of the quarter.

Reactions: Ben W and JB47394
Your observations are not accurate.

Driver specifically cites FSD was responding, they just intervened out of abundance of caution (and several folks pointed out you can see this in the bar on screen)

I'm not surprised as there are people here claiming the same thing.

Do tell how the ego didn't decelerate or steer away before she stomped on the brake?

From all the videos I've ever seen, FSD has never initiated a response in less than 1.5secs.

As she was looking anywhere But the road and clearly did not have her hands anywhere on the wheel I give FSD credit for a poor driver supervisor.
Yet somehow she saw the car as soon as it began to move! It is a difficult thing, the human-machine interface. The ideal thing would be as soon as the driver notices that regeneration begin to take place. We may need Neuralink.

On the left (first) the moment of detection (she seems to be looking at the road at that point). This is when you release your foot from the accelerator and go into regen - if you're actually fully driving yourself. On the right (second) the onset of FSD response. Followed shortly after by a classic nostalgia-inducing non-nauseating late-brake slamarama.
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 9.39.20 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 9.39.48 AM.png

Last edited:
Just for kicks it is still on FSDS until after this Frame. The car's front end is driving down and she is moving forward so it was responding. You can't read the speed. Also its starts driving down as soon as the car crosses the lane marking.

View attachment 1042339
Check your internets connection!

The very next Frame after this the car's front goes down. So FSDS did respond quickly.

View attachment 1042340
Yes, it was extremely slow. Like your internets.

View attachment 1042339

The braking action corresponds exactly with her right foot/leg movement not a moment sooner. Front end dive happens after leg/foot are positioned on the brake pedal. I always slow the video down to 0.25sec to see the chicken/egg.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm not surprised as there are people here claiming the same thing.

Do tell how the ego didn't decelerate or steer away before she stomped on the brake?

From all the videos I've ever seen, FSD has never initiated a response in less than 1.5secs.
It’s quite clear from the video that FSD responded before disengagement. About a one-second delay relative to driver detection (have not measured).

The disengagement chime fairly reliably comes just a moment after brake application. And watch the blue wheel too.

FSD began responding extremely slowly at 49mph.

We know FSD v12 can on occasion respond in about 0.4 seconds. We have analyzed that here, definitively. Of course it can take longer; a yellow light is pretty binary.

Last edited: