Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of a faff to find something that actually described this well so here's a direct link for anyone else who has no clue:

Thankfully, I haven't paid for the privilege of someone locking me out of features on my car. :cool:

Well just had the call from Tesla. Apparently the recall had 3 options depending on the wiring of the car.

My car required an O ring. That’s what was installed so my repair is now chargeable. 😞
Sounds like they’re weaseling out of the recall. Also, the O ring was for powered struts that came later. 🙄

If you have the energy, I’d recommend a small claims court action to recoup the costs based on what has already been covered here.

Do you have any evidence that the O ring was for powered trunks only?
Only from what I’ve read on here (and my own car). The O ring is to stop water ingress into the powered strut. It’s quite a lame “recall.” The earlier recall was to do with the pinch point on the wiring harness causing this to fail. Two completely different issues. Sounds to me like they previously fitted the plastic piece to yours that tries to stop further damage occurring, however the harness was probably already damaged, by that point. The fact the harness has failed shortly after they carried out the “recall” sounds to me like they haven’t adequately carried it out. I would obtain the details of the different recalls and either put those to the manager and challenge them on this, or take it through the small claims court.

Reactions: Durzel and MrBadger
Do you have any evidence that the O ring was for powered trunks only?

I think they are confusing recalls which doesn’t really inspire much confidence. I am sure there is the recall notification available somewhere that explains what was needed.

BUT it does sound like you did get the basic recall, the strengthened outer cover, but as per my earlier post, if the harness has failed in the section that was affected, ie close to the hinge area, then I think you have an argument that the original recall was not the appropriate mitigation. This potentially has an impact on other vehicles that may have had the same ‘fix’.

If it’s somewhere else along the harness then I would put it down to a bit of bad luck.

Reactions: Durzel and Cardo
Last week I created an account with motoreasy.com becasue I wanted to get their alloy wheel insurance. You have to create an account with them first....

Anyway, on my login page it shows a bunch of recalls for my vehicle. Not sure where they are grabbing this information from mind but is it possible yours might show anything useful? I'm not sure where they are grabbing from though because my O-Ring that I definitely had done is not listed, but there are a bunch of others I hadn't heard about. Insecure seat belt D-loops, Missing steering column bolts, incorrectly tightened caliper bolts.

I've got 13 apparently which affect my vehicle. Just what I wanted to hear :eek:🤣 - Although some of the dates dont' match up so I think its more of a generic thing.

IMG_5524.jpeg

I give in. Bill paid. Car sold.

Thanks anyway guys.
Bit of a shame, but understandable.

As has been remarked the “O ring fix” was a different recall, for cars with powered struts (70 plate on?). There’s no place for an O ring to go on the normal hydraulic strut.

The notion that there were 3 different fixes for the harness is a load of crap too. There were two “paths” in the recall for technicians to take - inspect wiring and if fine then install plastic support bracket to prevent the loom folding over itself completely. If inspection revealed wires were compromised, or as in your case failure had manifested, the whole harness was replaced with one that didn’t have the problem (so didn’t need support bracket).