Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good bye

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2018 Ioniq Electric was a good car. It did what it was supposed to do, very well. It was only let down by 137 miles (max) range.

My Model 3 has a lot of features that didn’t exist on the Ioniq, but the Ioniq had features that the M3 could and should have had.

The Ioniq 5 & 6 are worthy alternatives in my opinion.

I’ll probably keep the Y until it dies. Cant see myself buying another new Tesla or even leasing one as things stand. But to be honest the alternatives are not up to much either. ionic 5 looks nice but tech is looking a bit old. Maybe I’ll be tempted by the Macan as need a family motor, but ideally Y will scrape through til the kids have gone and I can go straight to the mobility scooter!

It’s been a blast, literally. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Tesla adventure over the last 5 years but I have started the countdown to the lease expiry date and I think I’ve made a decision on my next car. My needs have changed with WFH. Superchargers open to all seals the deal. I’ll try to be considerate with stall selection in future.

Tesla Positives
  • Lack of sales people.
  • World leading software and OTA updates (can be a blessing and a curse).
  • Performance (which if I’m honest I don’t ‘need’).
  • Efficiency
  • Fast reliable Superchargers (….open to all).
  • Matrix lights at Calais. Nice touch.

Tesla Negatives
  • Minimalist cabin- Tesla has gone too far with not enough buttons.
  • Over promising FSD dream. Rock solid AP still isn’t there 5 year later. Tesla needs a bridging strategy to bring customers with them to get to real world FSD. The dream is a bit too distant and people are seeing and feeling the reality of 2024.
  • USS
  • Wipers anyone?

My conclusion is that EV is the way to go (for many reasons) and other EV’s are catching up. Range and charging facilities are improving. Next Car: Ionic 5

I’ll not be posting much but might pop in from time to time. Until we meet again, good bye
Don't forget to get yourself a subscription to the 'a better route planner' app (based on my neighbours experience anyway)

Reactions: ken_neth
Haven’t posted in a while and was going to say “goodbye” also as I flirted with revisiting my BMW years and had an i4 M50 on order, was due to be delivered this week.

A strange twist of fate later and yesterday I did the journey home in an approved used Model 3 LR, literally identical to the company car I handed back an hour before collecting the new retail one.

I had said for 3 years I would never put own money into a Tesla but having looked at it and the frankly ridiculous used ICE market - with Octopus Go it remains the best option for us and even better all the accessories are a perfect fit !

3.5 years and 47k miles in the company car - its replacement has 18k miles at exactly the same age so we’ll see how #2 fares for us.

Onwards !

Haven’t posted in a while and was going to say “goodbye” also as I flirted with revisiting my BMW years and had an i4 M50 on order, was due to be delivered this week.

A strange twist of fate later and yesterday I did the journey home in an approved used Model 3 LR, literally identical to the company car I handed back an hour before collecting the new retail one.

I had said for 3 years I would never put own money into a Tesla but having looked at it and the frankly ridiculous used ICE market - with Octopus Go it remains the best option for us and even better all the accessories are a perfect fit !

3.5 years and 47k miles in the company car - its replacement has 18k miles at exactly the same age so we’ll see how #2 fares for us.

Onwards !
So what's happening with the i4 M50 you ordered? They allow you to cancel that a week before collection without issues or you lost a deposit there?

Enjoy the Ionic 5 - it's an interesting car, and great IMHO that Hyundai are doing things to make their cars look different.

I certainly won't be buying another Tesla after the way they handled the USS removal fiasco, though I will most probably revert to ICE....I fancy something with a large V8, maybe a Lexus LC500....or possibly (at the other end of the interior-quality scale) a Camaro ZL1.

So what's happening with the i4 M50 you ordered? They allow you to cancel that a week before collection without issues or you lost a deposit there?
If it's anything like a friend's recent iX3 order, BMW have been saying for 2 months that the car is ready and it will be delivered in a week, then another week, and another week but it still hadn't arrived. They've loaned him a 3 series touring to drive in the mean time otherwise I'd think he'd cancel.

• Informative
Reactions: FastLaneJB
Another thing to think about is the Super Charging network. With Musk sacking everyone in that department, god knows how the network will be after a while. No more expansion? Less open chargers? Its like he is trying his best to ruin the company at the moment. For me, the only main reason I bought Tesla was because of the SC network.

Another thing to think about is the Super Charging network. With Musk sacking everyone in that department, god knows how the network will be after a while. No more expansion? Less open chargers? Its like he is trying his best to ruin the company at the moment. For me, the only main reason I bought Tesla was because of the SC network.
Agreed, I've got a Highland on order now and while I'll no doubt stick with it. The Supercharger network is a really big reason for that decision that already seems far more shaky than it was.

I think Musk is outsourcing the proliferation of SCs and the marketing thereof to the "majors". He's committed to growing the sites already extant and improving reliability. Time will tell.

Reactions: KennethS
Thanks for the discussion.
I’ve been driving a 2021 model 3 Rear Wheel drive as a loaner since Friday. I’m very impressed.
This is easily the nicest driving most comfortable sedan I’ve ever been in.
at the end of the day. The charging network will still exist. Musk will still be in charge and Tesla will still be the best EV value For the foreseeable 24 months if not longer. I want to see volume production of anything I purchase with at least 250,000 units a year before I would buy a new EV.

Reactions: Aaron Sanford
As a used Tesla buyer, I feel like I'm still in the minority. Coming up on 2 yrs with my '15 MS.
I absolutely love the Highland, especially the new P version. But I'll have to wait a couple more yrs and see what the used market looks like. Plus I like to give a refresh some time for them to work out any bugs. Time will tell, but so far, not much negative coming out about it. Fingers crossed my Falcon can make it 'til then.

Agreed, I've got a Highland on order now and while I'll no doubt stick with it. The Supercharger network is a really big reason for that decision that already seems far more shaky than it was.
Congrats on the Highland! If you are as I am you'll love it. It's like driving a fine handling limousine, IMO, and the suspension gets a little better within about 200 miles after you get the car (that's my experience so far in my car delivered 3-26. I loved my 2022 M3LR and am liking the new 2024 M3LR even more.

Also I don't fret the supercharger system.It's up and running at some 99% + reliable and will be expanded by robotic manufacture of new ones. Easily maintained by contractors. (wiped off and swept up after. Empty the trash receptacles, etc)

The so-called "Supercharger Team" of engineers did their job with excellence and can now move on the new interesting projects. Tesla engineers are top notch - Elon insists on that. So the people layed off are probably working today wherever they chose unless they're in Barbados or someplace enjoying a well earned rest.

this is exactly where I am. No way am I "buying" another Tesla. If I do its on lease so I can just give it back. The company worries me at the moment
I've owned two Teslas and have been very enthusiastic about the product, which I still feel is outstanding. However, Tesla now seems very unfocused, and its goals are unclear. Laying off entire teams, including the Supercharging Team, HR, Product Development, and Engineering, clearly shows the company is no longer looking forward, using innovation to generate growth; they are attacking G/A spending in a way that reflects significant impacts on top-line revenue and retreating from investments in human capital.

Looking on the other side of the issue, as financial statements sometimes don't tell the whole truth, and seeing the massive construction that has been ongoing at Giga Texas, there could be serious treasury-related issues related to investments in the 4680 batteries, where the return on capital that was planned and forecast efficiencies in manufacturing never materialized. This very well could have placed Tesla in a very serious cash crisis, thus making the draconian cuts necessary for its survival and necessitating realigning G/A for new financial projections.

Being competitive and continuously innovating is the only way a company can prevent its extinction. While excesses must continually be trimmed and redundancies are sometimes necessary to align top-line with EBITDA targets, you can't stop innovating as the savings achieved now are wiped out by the capital required to regain momentum in the future. The damage to both customer and employee goodwill is difficult to restore, and I suspect these latest cuts will benefit the UAW and their efforts to unionize Freemont and Texas.

… I will most probably revert to ICE....I fancy something with a large V8, maybe a Lexus LC500....or possibly (at the other end of the interior-quality scale) a Camaro ZL1.
This is the worst-case outcome. Tesla and has clearly failed Whyone by ruining the EV ownership experience in some way that was not explained. Other manufacturers clearly haven’t done enough to convince them to try a different brand EV. It’s sad to see someone say they’re going to put another ICEV on the road.

——————————————

I don’t believe the OP decided on the Ioniq 5 without considering the potential pros and cons of that vehicle. Since they have been a Tesla owner, there’s no point in trying to point out the flaws of the Hyundai compared to a Tesla. The OP likely is already familiar with all that.

——————————————

I came to a similar conclusion in my 1 year ownership review. Since that review, Tesla has started its restructuring and it’s not looking promising, especially since nobody knows how Tesla will continue to support the SuperCharger network, existing fleet, secure regulatory approvals, or build new vehicles going forward. Saying Tesla will do one thing hasn’t historically lead to those statements becoming reality and it takes more than empty promises to make someone comfortable with the future of Tesla ownership. This uncertainty only adds to the previous concerns about their vehicles, support and other operations. If someone has issues before all these layoffs, they’re definitely going to have more for the time being.

I don’t know what vehicle I will buy next. Tesla has time to turn things around and settle my concerns and make changes to the vehicles that may change how I feel. I plan to keep my Tesla for a while; depending.

Sure; there are some aspects of Tesla that would be missed owning another brand of EV, but those don’t outweigh the concerns I have of continuing to own a Tesla. So not only does Tesla need to define and execute with its reduce resources, it also has to fix what led me to not want another Tesla as my next vehicle.

There’s going to be even more and better alternatives to Tesla in the near future. The existing alternatives could have improved features in their newer model years as well. Seems worth giving a different brand a try no matter how people try to spin other EVs as “terrible choices or whatever. And to that point… it’s an injustice to the entire EV movement talking bad about the other vehicles on the market. It only serves to convince doubters that EVs are no good. The best outcome is for the majority of people to be driving any EV as opposed to ICE or Hybrid. That, and of course, cleaner and more widely available public and personal transportation.

I've owned two Teslas and have been very enthusiastic about the product, which I still feel is outstanding. However, Tesla now seems very unfocused, and its goals are unclear. Laying off entire teams, including the Supercharging Team, HR, Product Development, and Engineering, clearly shows the company is no longer looking forward, using innovation to generate growth; they are attacking G/A spending in a way that reflects significant impacts on top-line revenue and retreating from investments in human capital.

Looking on the other side of the issue, as financial statements sometimes don't tell the whole truth, and seeing the massive construction that has been ongoing at Giga Texas, there could be serious treasury-related issues related to investments in the 4680 batteries, where the return on capital that was planned and forecast efficiencies in manufacturing never materialized. This very well could have placed Tesla in a very serious cash crisis, thus making the draconian cuts necessary for its survival and necessitating realigning G/A for new financial projections.

Being competitive and continuously innovating is the only way a company can prevent its extinction. While excesses must continually be trimmed and redundancies are sometimes necessary to align top-line with EBITDA targets, you can't stop innovating as the savings achieved now are wiped out by the capital required to regain momentum in the future. The damage to both customer and employee goodwill is difficult to restore, and I suspect these latest cuts will benefit the UAW and their efforts to unionize Freemont and Texas.
Yes, and:

Elon still tries to run Tesla like a start-up.
Wants fast action, quick decisions, and rather than expanding the company into a larger, more stable entity, he pulls an Elon.
He sees a department he can eliminate because he wants other OEM's to pick up what Tesla got started, and he can take the payroll/resources and direct it toward another project.

It's what a small startup does. But at a certain size, it becomes detrimental to the stability of larger, public, corporations.
Shareholders would prefer slow, small, incremental growth that is more predictable.
Elon is great a startups. He's done it successfully many times. But IMO, he has yet to show the ability to build a company, and then put people in place to take it to the next level, because he can't let go enough to allow anyone else to run things.
Because, of course, no one else thinks like him.
Look at Twitter. That's an example of an established company, and he orchestrates essentially a hostile takeover, and immediately begins to start running it like a startup. And we all saw how that went initially.

So Tesla is at this inflection point. He needs to step back and trust people (he can choose) to run things. He doesn't have to disappear, just be less hands-on in the daily things. Go to the big picture, big project, meetings. Make sure his overall plans are in track. Then go find some smaller startup-like project to work on.

If the Supercharger department was going to be dissolved, that's fine. I think other companies would have handled it much differently.
They might have seen if any of that talent could be kept in-house by changing departments. They probably would have given them a heads up about the dissolution of the department, giving them at least a couple of weeks to line up new positions elsewhere. I'm sure they got a decent severance, so I'm not that worried about them. But it's all about the perception and the image left in people's minds when Elon sends an email to fire an entire department. Then, I think I saw somewhere (X post: grain of salt) he's already saying they may hire select people back. Well, that's what you pay an HR department for, as I mentioned above, those evaluations could have been done before and they could've been retained, either in a modified role, or transferred to another department.

His startup mentality is move fast, break things. He certainly has the arrogance to believe that everyone would want to work for Tesla. And to an extent, he's probably right. But ask anyone in management and they'll tell you, it is FAR easier to keep a good employee than it is to replace one, no matter how sought after you think your company is.
And keep this in mind, if you continually bring in the best people, then discard them when you're done. Eventually, you run through all the "best" people, and you're left with the "rest", because none of the best will want to work for you when you've acquired the vampire reputation.

The Ioniq 5 is a big step down from Tesla OP.

Blue Link app is no where near as good as the tesla app. I don't know about you but I use the tesla app all the time before I drive for climate etc.

It has a physical key, vs the Bluetooth phone key of Tesla. Hyundais Bluetooth key involves you having to open the app and faff about vs just walking close to the car with tesla.

Software and screen is far better than on the tesla than the hyundai, Teslas infotainment is better than any other manufacturer at the moment.

OTA updates, you already know Hyundai will abandon these soon while tesla continously provides updates that are actually useful.

Up to you though....
I've never tried its app but I've tried nissan's connect (as recently as a year ago), volvo's as recently as two years ago, and I have a current ram and toyota.

Tesla's app is definitely the best. Unlike the others it works almost every time--and quickly. Bluetooth key works almost perfectly. Sometimes I do grab the handles like a goof and nothing happens, and I Have to open the app, but not that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.