Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid question (I have "wheel blindness" in that I see tires as round things, and that's about it).. Is there a huge difference between the 19s and 20s that it's such a talking point? From what I gather, 20's not good on snow/ice, nor dealing with potholes. As I live in Phoenix (snow/ice not an issue), and roads around here are actually pretty pothole free generally (weather doesn't destroy the roads)...
Just kinda curious if I should take people's wanting to replace their 20s with 19s (or 18s) as an indication that maybe I should look at it too? Also, never had the Staggered wheel stuff before. I presume that gives better racing handling/performance?

Thanks for indulging someone very UN-versed in wheel differences!
Since there are only so much spece in the wheel wheel and you want the overall diameter to be the same or very close among 18 19 20s , bigger wheels are gonna have tires with thinner sidewalls (aka lower profile tires) bigger rims tires are gonna look better, handling better. BUT they will damp worse, so harsher rides , and you have less rubber on the sidewall so likely more noise, can't take too much impact. So on lower profile tires, potholes and lower manhole covers are big enemies l. Also those 20 inch tires are very expensive to replace. Even when you have insurance on them, almost no tire shops will have them in stock, ordering them could take couple days. More down time for your car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240503_022323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240503_022323_Chrome.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 8
Since there are only so much spece in the wheel wheel and you want the overall diameter to be the same or very close among 18 19 20s , bigger wheels are gonna have tires with thinner sidewalls (aka lower profile tires) bigger rims tires are gonna look better, handling better. BUT they will damp worse, so harsher rides , and you have less rubber on the sidewall so likely more noise, can't take too much impact. So on lower profile tires, potholes and lower manhole covers are big enemies l. Also those 20 inch tires are very expensive to replace. Even when you have insurance on them, almost no tire shops will have them in stock, ordering them could take couple days. More down time for your car.
Thanks for the info! And ouch at that nearly $450/tire. I knew they were gonna be pricier, but sheesh!