Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.14.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having seen Durzel’s post, I’ve called in the local Mac Doctor, who did a great job repairing my 2014 iMac. He said he now does a lot of open core installs. Mainly because people with older 27” iMacs don’t want 24” ones. I saw the instructions but bottled out…
Off topic but that's why I started exploring it. We have a bunch of what were very high specced iMacs at work, and replacing them would involve buying a Studio Display AND a suitably powerful Mac. Apple obviously knew what they were doing when they depreciated the 27" iMac.

Reactions: Dilly
Off topic but that's why I started exploring it. We have a bunch of what were very high specced iMacs at work, and replacing them would involve buying a Studio Display AND a suitably powerful Mac. Apple obviously knew what they were doing when they depreciated the 27" iMac.
Slight difference here.... Might I say I'm fine using a third party Legacy Patcher found on the web to change the OS version on my older Mac at home, BUT, I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing the same on the machine that carries me, my wife and kids at 70+mph on the motorway....

Mind you we had most of that in 2019! (They've come and gone over the versions ever since ...)
I thought it used to have more end of last year, when I bought it, but don't pay much attention. There's certainly lots more now.

I would rather have the map full screen or maybe a tile for Spotify/Audible perhaps, something actually useful for the driver.

Slight difference here.... Might I say I'm fine using a third party Legacy Patcher found on the web to change the OS version on my older Mac at home, BUT, I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing the same on the machine that carries me, my wife and kids at 70+mph on the motorway....
Would you install it if you could patch in Haxors beta windscreen wiper fix? ;)

I'm with you. Wouldn't fiddle with a car but a computer wouldn't be dangerous so do as you please there really.

• Funny
Reactions: andyorkney
You need to have Premium Connectivity AND to have a route planned, if you're expecting chimes. I haven't tested it myself but it does specify that requirement.
I haven’t driven it yet. Premium Connectivity was standard back in my day 😄

Not in the release notes or any menus though, so I don’t expect it to be there.

Maybe they have to work out the UI for binnacle display?

Likewise, I wouldn’t consider it on a car even if I don’t assume OEM code is flawless. That’s why I said it was an impossibility.

Now, an official Ryzen retrofit? I’d be all over that, would probably pay ~£1500 for it.

legacy S/X don’t get speed camera updates. Don’t really understand why when 3/Y with MCU 2 can have it.

Did you get the trip remaining feature? Some have reported better and fuller FSD visualizations
Release notes for my car show Trip Progress Bar, Audible, Spotify Queue and Playback Speed, Better Route Available, Minor fixes and Security updates.

Reactions: Reyswan
Likewise, I wouldn’t consider it on a car even if I don’t assume OEM code is flawless. That’s why I said it was an impossibility.

Now, an official Ryzen retrofit? I’d be all over that, would probably pay ~£1500 for it.
Tesla/Elon has already stated they won't offer it.

What makes it tricky is the Ryzen system uses water cooling and the Intel one doesn't so nothing is fitted to accommodate.

Technically possible to make a "Ryzen Lite", which doesn't need water cooling and has Intel compatible connecters going into it, I'm sure. But there probably isn't a will to put in the work.

Never say never and all that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reactions: Durzel
Same way every other car with this feature does it. By using the GPS to know where you are and its data on where the cameras are?
I realise that but to give advanced warning it has to know that you will still be on the same road when you arrive at the camera.
There may be numerous cameras on nearby roads that you could turn on to and should you be given warnings for these also.

Tesla/Elon has already stated they won't offer it.

What makes it tricky is the Ryzen system uses water cooling and the Intel one doesn't so nothing is fitted to accommodate.

Technically possible to make a "Ryzen Lite", which doesn't need water cooling and has Intel compatible connecters going into it, I'm sure. But there probably isn't a will to put in the work.

Never say never and all that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Actually, on the 3/Y at least, the Atom MCU is also water cooled. The service instructions for removing it reference unplugging and tapping the coolant lines for it when removing/reinstalling it.

It is potentially a less effective cooling system compared to the Ryzen one, which is looped in with get Octovalve & heatpump setup, but it is at least better than air cooling.

I suspect there isn’t a commercial will to do it at this time, and possibly ever, than a technical one. The Tesla of today is a different company to the one that offered MCU upgrades to early Model S/X owners.

Reactions: Ribs
I realise that but to give advanced warning it has to know that you will still be on the same road when you arrive at the camera.
There may be numerous cameras on nearby roads that you could turn on to and should you be given warnings for these also.
Most warnings from cars on this are when you are pretty close to the camera so normally no turning that you might take before however even if this was to happen, it’s hardly a big deal. The point is you know there’s a speed camera close by. You can just glance at the map then to see where it is.