Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Week Old 2023 MYP - Oil On Rear Tray

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
Today after work I had a couple of hours of daylight so I decided to tackle throwing on a tow hitch. When I got under the car to undo the tray fasteners, I was greeted by this sight. :oops: đź‘Ž

IMG_5434.jpeg

IMG_5433.jpeg

Clear, slightly yellow-ish.

Not red or blue.

Added it to the list of items for Tesla SC to look at this Saturday when they look at a few poorly installed items on the car that I noted upon delivery.

Anybody have any ideas?

Drawtite hitch went on well. Noted that several items were different about my MY when following the U-haul video on installing the Drawtite hitch. Less fasteners, etc.

IMG_5436.jpeg

I felt like a deer caught in headlights when I pulled out the Teskosha wiring harness. There’s NO extra taillight wire to play with especially on the passenger side.

71972674448__F9349578-0BEA-438A-878F-1C8038DE8381.jpeg

I noped it back into the box and hope to find somebody more comfortable with electronics to hold my hand on another day. Or pay a shop to do it. It was getting dark anyways.

-Paul

I felt like a deer caught in headlights when I pulled out the Teskosha wiring harness.
There’s NO extra taillight wire to play with especially on the passenger side.

I would recommend using the Tekonsha ZCI (Zero Contact Interface) to avoid any splicing or harness connection.
The Tesla wires are very tiny and any modification of the wires load can be detected and might send some error code,
with a risk of affecting the Tesla warranty.

There are two versions, the Tekonsha 119250 which is a stand alone module with all the wires sensors and the 4-wire trailer plug:

61+WzcKesaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The other version is the Tekonsha 119251 which includes an additional 12 V wiring kit:

71p6wvw0U5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For the 12 V, the simplest would be to use the 12 V auxiliary plug in the trunk. The sensors for the turn signal have an extra length,
allowing to install the Tekonsha device on either side. I installed it on the right, using the backets of the subwoover amplifier.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: father_of_6
I have the stand-alone Tekonsha 119250 kit. đź‘Ť

I was surprised at how there is no looseness with the factory passenger side twilight wiring - I don’t know how I’m supposed to get in there to remove enough of the wire wrap to find a good place to clip in the Tekonsha connections.

Did you follow a video or have access to a diagram that shows which color wire does what?

-Paul

I was surprised at how there is no looseness with the factory passenger side twilight wiring
- I don’t know how I’m supposed to get in there to remove enough of the wire wrap to find a good place to clip in the Tekonsha connections.

I installed the Tekonsha device above the subwoofer using one of the screws holding the amplifier and another screw to make a ground connection.
The left turn signal sensor cable is long enought to reach the opposite side to install the left turn signal current sensor around the left turn wire.

Did you follow a video or have access to a diagram that shows which color wire does what?

I plugged a 4-wire tester and tested one by one all the wires of the rear right light harness to find the correct one for each current sensor.

CURT 58260 4-Pin Flat Trailer Wiring Towing Vehicle Socket Tester .jpg

Note: Later on, I added an extension cable between the Tekonsha device and the front console, so I kept this 4-wire tester on top the console.
This allow me to check if the Tekonsha device works correctly, and in particular if my stop light are on when I am doing regenerative braking.

Since I removed the bumper cover to install a tow hich, I replaced the reflectors on the bumper cover with LED lights because the rear lights
are somehow obfuscated by my bikes. (Note: I didn't connected the LED tail light, because the turn or brake LED were not really noticeable).

LED Bumper Reflector Lights .jpg

Last edited: