Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D wants to charge at 72 Amps which trips Tesla home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have mentioned best thing to do in these cases is call national support and have them check the logs. Tesla should be able to tell why the charge limit isn’t being held/recognized as that’s a concrete software failure.

They should be able to answer any incompatibility with UMC generations but I thought this was an HPWC.

Will have to wait till I get ahold of a Torx 20 screwdriver. I do remember 7 years ago I had the electrician set it for 40 amps.
My version uses dip switches not a rotary dial. In our users manual there is pencilling indicating which dip switch setting he used. Choices were 12, 16, 24, 32, 40, 64, and 80. Our circuit being 50 Amp, we set it to 80% or 40 Amps.

I just had a look in the installation manual for what I believe to be Gen 1, and it looks like the dip switch settings for the 50A and 90A settings look pretty similar. I’m hoping that when you open up the wall charger you’ll find that it was set to 90A which will give you 72A to the car (80%). I don’t see the choices you mentioned above (12,16.....) was there an even earlier version of the HPWC with these options? Maybe I’m looking in the wrong manual.

Reactions: brkaus
I just had a look in the installation manual for what I believe to be Gen 1, and it looks like the dip switch settings for the 50A and 90A settings look pretty similar. I’m hoping that when you open up the wall charger you’ll find that it was set to 90A which will give you 72A to the car (80%). I don’t see the choices you mentioned above (12,16.....) was there an even earlier version of the HPWC with these options? Maybe I’m looking in the wrong manual.

From our manual
2ECEA366-1D97-4E46-884E-32BD840C23E3.jpeg

Last night when it got home (before my wife plugged in) I checked the setting in the car. It was set to 30A. We plugged in and it stayed set to 30 A - Setup the charge (about 80 %). Still 30 A.
I was up early and while having breakfast we got notified that charging had interrupted and to check power source. Went to garage and Wall Charger was red. Reset and checked car setting - it was 72A.

Will contact Tesla.

Problem found!!!
Service Center replaced charge unit.

Apparently my symptoms were the indication. Charging unit (defective) will, for no reason, stop charging from Wall Charger and eventually stop charging at SC (ours hadn't gotten to that point). Being slightly over 50,000 miles, we had purchased extended warranty - so covered - minus deductible.