Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12.1.2 incoming...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello srs. If my 3 is asleep it appears to disconnect from WiFi. It doesn’t show up as a device in my Google WiFi. When I wake the car up and drive will it then tell me an update is available if there is one? Thanks in advance.

Yes, it should. I use TeslaFi, and one or two updates ago I noticed something interesting: My car went to sleep, then woke up for no apparent reason for an hour or so, then went back to sleep. (IIRC, it woke up early in the morning, like around 1:00 AM, but I could be off about that detail. I definitely had not been messing with the Tesla app or doing anything else to wake the car up, though.) I noticed this in the morning via TeslaFi, and when I opened my phone (which I had not done that day until then), I saw a notification from the Tesla app to the effect that a new software update was available for my car, and asking for permission to install it.

This makes me think that either Tesla's servers tell cars to download an update at some point in the future, if possible, and the car will wake up at that time to attempt a download; or Tesla's servers contact cars via the cell connectivity to wake up and download an update immediately, if possible. This conclusion, though, is both an inference on my part and tentative. It could be something else is going on, and I just haven't figured it out. It could also be that this is only one way that updates are triggered, and maybe not even the most common one. I am quite certain, though, that my car woke up late at night without prompting by me, and a few hours later I noticed that an update was available.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
Yes, it should. I use TeslaFi, and one or two updates ago I noticed something interesting: My car went to sleep, then woke up for no apparent reason for an hour or so, then went back to sleep. (IIRC, it woke up early in the morning, like around 1:00 AM, but I could be off about that detail. I definitely had not been messing with the Tesla app or doing anything else to wake the car up, though.) I noticed this in the morning via TeslaFi, and when I opened my phone (which I had not done that day until then), I saw a notification from the Tesla app to the effect that a new software update was available for my car, and asking for permission to install it.

This makes me think that either Tesla's servers tell cars to download an update at some point in the future, if possible, and the car will wake up at that time to attempt a download; or Tesla's servers contact cars via the cell connectivity to wake up and download an update immediately, if possible. This conclusion, though, is both an inference on my part and tentative. It could be something else is going on, and I just haven't figured it out. It could also be that this is only one way that updates are triggered, and maybe not even the most common one. I am quite certain, though, that my car woke up late at night without prompting by me, and a few hours later I noticed that an update was available.
Thanks very much srs. I have to agree with your conclusions as they seem to make most sense. Enjoy your Sunday.