Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Volt DC. Jump Starting, RV, Accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only find concerns about higher voltage and AC outlets, but my experience with service trucks, camping, boating and RV service has been the need of 12 Volt DC. I know the cars have a 12 volt battery for computer voltage that is charged off the battery bank, and I know Tesla does not recommend using it for jump starting. But trucks need to do that.

Towing a camper or trailer with electric brakes requires 12 V. to charge the trailer battery for trailer brake breakaway switch, and normally traveling with the alternator charging the deep cycle "House" battery gives you a full charge for the night when camping without electric hookup. You disconnect trailer plug to separate vehicle battery from house battery if there is no isolator between them. This runs the propane furnace overnight, supplies 12 volts to the fridge, water pump and lighting. In the morning you start the tow vehicle, and plug in to charge as needed. When longer duration is needed, dual 6 volt deep cycles are used. I assume the trailer connector, usually a Bargman 7 way standard plug will have this battery charge wire?

Many times I'll have a dead battery on a riding mower or tractor that needs a jump, or was cranked dead working on it. I've pulled trolling motors off boats camping somewhere for a weekend, connect with jumper cable to charge off the running truck, just tons of times 12 volts is needed. My boat trailer had an electric winch to pull the boat on the trailer that used the truck battery.... They use a separate plug so the trailer lights can be disconnected when backing into the water. In the RV Service business I had a 7 way connector on the bumper I could plug in to test fire propane furnaces on the tailgate before reinstalling in the camper. You can't service the furnace inside the case. So you need power to it out of the case on the bench. Contractors need to get to off road equipment to jump start diesels when cold, I've needed that for my own backhoe, this equipment sits and needs to be jumped in extreme cold. I forsee a lot of uses for low voltage, high amperage, needs that these batteries are not very good for. Seems a waste of efficiency to use an inverter to plug in a A.C. battery charger and wait for it to charge. What is everyone using to jump start ICE vehicles with their EV? I won't even get into 6 volt vehicles, those starters normally take 12 volt cranking in small doses without issue.

You are actually mixing a couple of concepts into one.

Providing power for towing is one thing. That requires the vehicle to provide the capability. But importantly, that's a pretty standard 12V load.

Providing jump starting is another thing. Aside from large instantaneous current draws, the worse part is the transients that can occur as an engine cranks and starts. It's these transients that modern cars hate and that's because the electronics don't like them.

On the Model 3, there are no fuses (except for main battery), all current draws are monitored and the ports are shut down if out of specification.

So Tesla doesn't like jump starting, because it could damage the electronics. The car will do it, but at your own risk.
For the trailer hitch, Tesla will need to provide a circuit for that.

If the Model 3 notices current draws that it doesn't expect, it will shut things down, including the main battery.

You also have to remember that the batteries aren't charged by alternators, they are charged by in an inverter from the high voltage battery.

So, you can probably expect Tesla to handle the trailer towing requirements, but jump starting a vehicle is probably going to stay at your own risk. But plugging in a 120/240V battery charger to charge another vehicle may be supported.

On a EV, you have to realize that the 12V battery is slightly different in utilization that in an ICE. While batteries other than a classic car battery would b much better in an EV, the classic car battery is sold in so much quantity that it is just a lot cheaper.

Yes, I was asking about slow charging through a trailer harness as well as high cranking amperage from a 12 volt onboard power supply. Thanks for the details on power management without fuses.

They will no doubt have a trailer towing package with power supply for battery charging and brake control power supply under dash. Some trailers use brakes for sway control as well, so battery charging on the trailer is important.

I think a utility vehicle needs to be able to jump start other vehicles with 600 to 1000 CCA. That's a lot to ask for without a high amp capacity battery and spinning alternator. If it was my own equipment I'd have a solar trickle charger, but I'm the guy everyone calls after they tried everything else and cranked it dead.

Carry a “jump battery” that you can charge on the 110 outlet in the CT. problem solved. I have this one, I’ve used it to jump a 3/4 ton diesel.
DBPOWER 800A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (up to 7.2L Gas, 5.5L Diesel Engine) Battery Booster with Smart Charging Port (Black/Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D42TYFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KZTvEbQTESW8Y
My alternator recently died on mu Tundra and had to call a tow truck and the driver had one. He called it a charge box

Reactions: Fiddler