Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y HW4 with OEM Tow Hitch Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Calling out to all Model Y owners with HW4 that have the OEM hitch installed and the trailer lights that properly operate when connecting an accessory to the trailer electrical connector. There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive thread existing that clearly identifies the Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller version that is installed that enables the trailer lights to operate correctly. I've seen the Tesla Service Bulletin SB-22-17-014 that identifies Model Y years 2021-2022 that requires the 1497847-10-D (for 5 seat version) Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller that needed to replace the 1657648-02-A version that does not support tow (trailer) mode.

I have a 2023 Model Y with HW4. I have installed the OEM hitch Part # 1514757-00-G that fits the new plug connectors for the HW4 Model Y that was confirmed working when it was removed from the previous vehicle. However, the trailer lights do not operate. I have a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter with an led tester and all the lights flashed in sync with a low dim. Assuming I had some power, I plugged in my trailer with LED brake and turn signals and the only result I had was the turn signal LEDs would flash a low dim pulse no matter what input was provided with the turn signal yoke. I saw a thread where it was possible that the connector doesn't recognize LED lights, so I bought the CURT 57004 LED-Compatible 7-Way RV Blade Vehicle-Side to 4-Way Flat Trailer-Side Trailer Wiring Adapter. When I plugged that adapter to my tester and then to the LED trailer lights, I had zero power going to either the led tester nor the LED trailer lights. I will admit that I did not use a voltmeter to check the power being sent to the 7 pin connector directly or the 7 pin to 4 pin adapters, but this would indicate the proper power is just not being sent to the 7 pin connector.

I can confirm that I do have the 1657648-02-A after looking up the procedure to access the Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller found in the SB-22-18-014 service bulletin using an inspection camera to visually see the version number. I wanted to see if the owners of Model Y with HW4 and the OEM trailer hitch lights that properly operate are able to confirm which version of the Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller is installed in their vehicles since the service bulletin does not mention model year 2023. This would be greatly appreciated and will greatly benefit all Model Y owners with HW4 who want to install a hitch compatible with the new trailer hitch connector behind the bumper that started with HW4 Model Ys.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Model Y Controller.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 138
From what I have read, my impression is that if the car didn't come from the factory with the tow package, the car has to be configured with the Toolbox service software to enable tow mode and power to the module. Tesla service probably won't help you with this, but a 3rd party shop would, or you can subscribe to Toolbox and try to enable it yourself.

Reactions: alain99
We've got a seven seat 2023 HW4 with a factory installed tow package. I'm happy to help if that's of any use to you. Let me know and I'll assist in any way that you need.
Thanks for the offer. I decided to submit a service request. I did get a confirmation that Tesla will enable the trailer mode and configure the trailer lights. The service advisor stated that there is no information about changing any hardware and quoted me a 1/2 hours worth of labor to perform the update. We'll see if there are any surprises during the service.

From what I have read, my impression is that if the car didn't come from the factory with the tow package, the car has to be configured with the Toolbox service software to enable tow mode and power to the module. Tesla service probably won't help you with this, but a 3rd party shop would, or you can subscribe to Toolbox and try to enable it yourself.
I was looking into the Toolbox option but paying the $169 for the 1 day subscription and not knowing exactly how to do it deterred me from choosing this option. I didn't see any resources covering this topic using Toolbox. Plus the service estimate is only $125 for me. I don't know how knowledgeable the service advisor is only to find out that a hardware replacement is required. If I updated via the Toolbox and still had issues, I would take it to Tesla service center anyway since there could be a number of considerations in troubleshooting. I'll let this be a lesson learned for future owners who want to install the OEM hitch themselves and the steps needed to enable the lights and trailer mode. If the only update that is required can be performed in Toolbox, then the main benefit doing it yourself is not waiting 3 weeks for an available service appointment, at least around me.

Calling out to all Model Y owners with HW4 that have the OEM hitch installed and the trailer lights that properly operate when connecting an accessory to the trailer electrical connector.
Hey, we have a 02/24 7seater and an 11/23 Austin TX build LR. while we are waiting eagerly for a reply can you confirm the connector type you have -

1- Your Molex connection from the vehicle has only 4 wires- Red, Blue , Black and a thinner Green
1707877493316.png

2- does your hitch have an ECU or Heatsink of some sort as shown in the photo below?
1707877868999.png

Thanks

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Hey, we have a 02/24 7seater and an 11/23 Austin TX build LR. while we are waiting eagerly for a reply can you confirm the connector type you have -

1- Your Molex connection from the vehicle has only 4 wires- Red, Blue , Black and a thinner Green
View attachment 1018104

2- does your hitch have an ECU or Heatsink of some sort as shown in the photo below?
View attachment 1018105

Thanks
Hi Mloecher, my hitch is Part # 1514757-00-G which has both the new updated connector and ECU/Heatsink. Honestly, I never looked at the number of wires for the connectors.

View attachment 1018104

View attachment 1018105

Thanks
I have this exact tow hitch. It does not operate on my Fremont built hw4 car even with the configuration updated. Tried rev1 and rev2 under the tow configuration. Lights don't operate. Trailer icon remains red. Looking for the same answer. Connector fits but nothing works on the 7 pin.

Hi Mloecher, my hitch is Part # 1514757-00-G which has both the new updated connector and ECU/Heatsink. Honestly, I never looked at the number of wires for the connectors.
Update. Mine had a similar behavior to yours. I got toolbox from a friend updated the tow package to rev2 and redeployed the firmware. It's working correctly now. Redeployment is required after update.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Update. Mine had a similar behavior to yours. I got toolbox from a friend updated the tow package to rev2 and redeployed the firmware. It's working correctly now. Redeployment is required after update.
That’s great to hear! Im just waiting for my service appointment since it was cheaper than the Toolbox subscription. I’ll provide an update after the service has been completed. Did you end up replacing the left hand low voltage controller prior to the update? If so, which version did you install?

That’s great to hear! Im just waiting for my service appointment since it was cheaper than the Toolbox subscription. I’ll provide an update after the service has been completed. Did you end up replacing the left hand low voltage controller prior to the update? If so, which version did you install?
I didn't end up replacing the lv controller. I think what I was skipping is the redeployment of the firmware after the config change that was keeping it from working.

I completed my service appointment today with Tesla to enable Trailer Mode. This confirmed my worst scenario. Tesla Techs at the service center I visited had zero knowledge on the proper procedure to fully enable trailer mode with working trailer lights. I'm assuming this is the case only for situations that they did not install the OEM hitch. The Tesla Techs was able to update the software to enable Trailer Mode. However, they didn't understand the need to reinstall the software as mentioned by WhiteM3P. I left the service center being told that everything was functioning and the lights were tested. When I returned home, the first thing I did was plug in my trailer and to no surprise, the lights did not operate even though I could toggle trailer mode in the Steering and Braking section. I found out when I went back to the Tesla Service that they did not confirm trailer lights were functioning properly and that I had to reschedule another service to perform 2 hours of "troubleshooting" to identify the issue. WTF?! I didn't accept their additional service and wanted to attempt reinstalling the latest software myself first with Toolbox before troubleshooting hardware. Before I purchased a Toolbox subscription, I found an option in Service Mode to reinstall the software and after performing that step, my trailer lights were properly working. Just to confirm WhiteM3P's statement, reinstalling the software is an essential step after enabling the trailer mode software for the trailer lights to function properly.

To summarize the steps needed for all potential owners who want to install an OEM Trailer Hitch for 2023 Model Ys with HW4 and version 1657648-02-A Left Hand Low Voltage Controller.

- Ensure vehicle has the latest software update
- Purchase and install OEM Hitch Part # 1514757-00-G
- Ensure OEM trailer wire harness is connected and secured properly.
- Enable Trailer Mode software either through Tesla Service (estimated 0.5 hours of labor) or Toolbox ($170/day).
- Reinstall latest vehicle software either through Service Mode (if this wasn't performed by Tesla Service) or Toolbox.

Unfortunately, I do not have the steps to perform this update through Toolbox. Toolbox maybe an advantage for people who don't live near a service center, or have long wait times to book an appointment or prefer to perform the complete install themselves. I wish I had done Toolbox after going through my experience with Tesla Service.

Thanks again to WhiteM3P!

Calling out to all Model Y owners with HW4 that have the OEM hitch installed and the trailer lights that properly operate when connecting an accessory to the trailer electrical connector. There doesn't seem to be a comprehensive thread existing that clearly identifies the Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller version that is installed that enables the trailer lights to operate correctly. I've seen the Tesla Service Bulletin SB-22-17-014 that identifies Model Y years 2021-2022 that requires the 1497847-10-D (for 5 seat version) Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller that needed to replace the 1657648-02-A version that does not support tow (trailer) mode.

I have a 2023 Model Y with HW4. I have installed the OEM hitch Part # 1514757-00-G that fits the new plug connectors for the HW4 Model Y that was confirmed working when it was removed from the previous vehicle. However, the trailer lights do not operate. I have a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter with an led tester and all the lights flashed in sync with a low dim. Assuming I had some power, I plugged in my trailer with LED brake and turn signals and the only result I had was the turn signal LEDs would flash a low dim pulse no matter what input was provided with the turn signal yoke. I saw a thread where it was possible that the connector doesn't recognize LED lights, so I bought the CURT 57004 LED-Compatible 7-Way RV Blade Vehicle-Side to 4-Way Flat Trailer-Side Trailer Wiring Adapter. When I plugged that adapter to my tester and then to the LED trailer lights, I had zero power going to either the led tester nor the LED trailer lights. I will admit that I did not use a voltmeter to check the power being sent to the 7 pin connector directly or the 7 pin to 4 pin adapters, but this would indicate the proper power is just not being sent to the 7 pin connector.

I can confirm that I do have the 1657648-02-A after looking up the procedure to access the Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller found in the SB-22-18-014 service bulletin using an inspection camera to visually see the version number. I wanted to see if the owners of Model Y with HW4 and the OEM trailer hitch lights that properly operate are able to confirm which version of the Left Hand Low Voltage Body Controller is installed in their vehicles since the service bulletin does not mention model year 2023. This would be greatly appreciated and will greatly benefit all Model Y owners with HW4 who want to install a hitch compatible with the new trailer hitch connector behind the bumper that started with HW4 Model Ys.

Thanks in advance!
Your symptoms are EXACTLY what my 2023 Model Y did when I hooked it up to any of my 3 trailers (all with verified working lights). I took it to the service center. They said the controller was bad from the factory and replaced the entire hitch assembly to fix it. Not sure why the entire receiver was removed and replaced with a new one just to fix the controller, but I saw them do it and it works fine now. Here is a picture of it being done.

Attachments

• Trailer light repair.jpg
    Trailer light repair.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: EdSt
I'm in this boat right now too. They took all day to install the hitch, and then the lights didn't work when I got home (oh, and they either forgot to plug the left taillight back in or did so poorly, fixed that one myself). Now it's back in the shop since yesterday (Friday) morning and the estimated pickup time is saying this Friday.

<sigh>

I should have just done it myself. But at least I got a loaner both visits, and this one (despite being a worn out old MYLR) has the latest FSD active so I've been getting to play with that...

Reactions: adamek
I picked up my 2024 Model Y last week. Tow Hitch was on the order agreement. Today I needed my trailer for the first time since I got the Model Y. Removed the splash guard no problem. Installed the 7 Blade to 4 Flat adapter I bought from Tractor Supply. Installed the draw bar. Hooked up trailer. Plugged it in. No lights on the trailer. Tried blinkers, brakes, hazards, no trailer lights. Unplugged trailer lights. Put car into trailer mode. No trailer lights. Time to track down my multimeter, and probably call the service center.