Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery life with Jackery 500 connected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I recently brought a dometic fridge in my Tesla that I plan to have connected to a Jackery 500 portable battery (518Wh, 24AH). Basically my plan is to have the Jackery connected to my 12V connector in trunk, then the dometic connected to the jackery hoping it will last 2 days or so keeping the fridge cool if I was in a hotel or Airbnb for several days and not in my car.

My question relates to charging the Jackery. In camp mode my understanding is my main battery will keep my 12V battery alive while the Jackery Charges however I find camp mode annoying bc the AC always have to be on and the screen is always on. From what I’ve read, leaving sentry mode on will also keep my 12V connector in the trunk alive, however the main battery does not recharge the 12V thus making it susceptible to dying. .

My question is whether if I recharged most of my Jackery 500 from just the car’s 12V battery alone using sentry mode whether I would be risking killing the 12V. Is the capacity of the 12V battery much greater than the Jackery 500 capacity or not really?

thanks.

The 12V battery is charged with a DC-DC converter in the Tesla. When it gets low, it will be recharged by the car's high voltage pack.

In my opinion, you are adding one additional element into the mix. I also have a 12V cooler/refrigerator that I keep in the back of our X when camping. My plan, as I detailed in this thread, is to attempt to hack the rear 12V outlet so that it's always on. That way, a Jackery or similar battery is unnecessary. I have a 2016 X at this time, which I am about to sell and replace. Once I have my new X, I'm going to attempt a few things I've learned and see if I can make that outlet always available. Once/if I can, I will post to my thread how I went about doing it.

Reactions: dmurphy
The 12V battery is charged with a DC-DC converter in the Tesla. When it gets low, it will be recharged by the car's high voltage pack.

In my opinion, you are adding one additional element into the mix. I also have a 12V cooler/refrigerator that I keep in the back of our X when camping. My plan, as I detailed in this thread, is to attempt to hack the rear 12V outlet so that it's always on. That way, a Jackery or similar battery is unnecessary. I have a 2016 X at this time, which I am about to sell and replace. Once I have my new X, I'm going to attempt a few things I've learned and see if I can make that outlet always available. Once/if I can, I will post to my thread how I went about doing it.
Thanks very much for that information.