Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v in trunk for dash cam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I got a thinkware dash cam sitting around that I figured could add to the Tesla model y. Based from what I read on Tesla, 12v are on if the car is on/not asleep in which sentry will keep it on. I plan on just hooking it up to either the arm rest or rear trunk 12v port. I only have sentry off when parked at home which I then have connected to wall charger (scheduled departure) so when parked in public it will technically be on along with sentry. Just wanted to confirm I should have no issues with any battery drainage or anything when having a dash cam left connected to the 12v and running simultaneously with sentry almost all the time besides at home?

Hello, I got a thinkware dash cam sitting around that I figured could add to the Tesla model y. Based from what I read on Tesla, 12v are on if the car is on/not asleep in which sentry will keep it on. I plan on just hooking it up to either the arm rest or rear trunk 12v port. I only have sentry off when parked at home which I then have connected to wall charger (scheduled departure) so when parked in public it will technically be on along with sentry. Just wanted to confirm I should have no issues with any battery drainage or anything when having a dash cam left connected to the 12v and running simultaneously with sentry almost all the time besides at home?

That should work fine, but of course, it's an additional drain to your car's battery. As long as you have enough battery, there's no problem at all. Sentry Mode shuts down at 20%, so your dashcam won't drain your car battery below 20% anyway.

That should work fine, but of course, it's an additional drain to your car's battery. As long as you have enough battery, there's no problem at all. Sentry Mode shuts down at 20%, so your dashcam won't drain your car battery below 20% anyway.
Awesome, thanks for confirming. Battery drain should be okay as normally I only use about 10-15% on a normal work day with sentry on at work, starting everyday at 80%.

Reactions: Tam