Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v doesnt stay powered for ecooler even with sentry mode on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 refreshed x and despite the manual claiming the 12v stay powered with sentry or ac on, the 12vs, both, shut down about a minute after leaving the car. I did a lot of research here before getting the cooler, about how the 12vs only draw power from the high voltage battery, about how leaving sentry on keeps the 12v alive but I'm now finding that's not the case after buying a cooler. I'm a bit frustrated. Was this a misprint in the x manual? Yet another 3/y improvement which passed the x by?

I have a 2022 refreshed x and despite the manual claiming the 12v stay powered with sentry or ac on, the 12vs, both, shut down about a minute after leaving the car. I did a lot of research here before getting the cooler, about how the 12vs only draw power from the high voltage battery, about how leaving sentry on keeps the 12v alive but I'm now finding that's not the case after buying a cooler. I'm a bit frustrated. Was this a misprint in the x manual? Yet another 3/y improvement which passed the x by?
Sentry mode keeps the USB ports alive. Camp Mode is required to keep the 15 volt ports alive.

Sentry mode keeps the USB ports alive. Camp Mode is required to keep the 15 volt ports alive.
Yes, it seems camp mode keeps the low voltage sockets alive but then you lose out on sentry mode. I really, really wish the manual told me this before committing to the brand of ecooler I went with.

The manual states: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

Screenshot relevant part for archive.

SmartSelect_20230504_123732_Brave.jpg

Which makes it seem like sentry keeps the sockets powered but it does not.

I'm not taking it out on you if I sound short. Thank you for replying. I just feel really, really dumb that I can't use my massive 100 kwh battery to keep a dumb ecooler powered while I run into a grocery store (I live rurally, groceries is a 3 hour minimum endeavour) and instead have to buy an external 1kwh battery and deal with the headache that brings.

Yes, it seems camp mode keeps the low voltage sockets alive but then you lose out on sentry mode. I really, really wish the manual told me this before committing to the brand of ecooler I went with.

The manual states: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

Screenshot relevant part for archive.

Which makes it seem like sentry keeps the sockets powered but it does not.

I'm not taking it out on you if I sound short. Thank you for replying. I just feel really, really dumb that I can't use my massive 100 kwh battery to keep a dumb ecooler powered while I run into a grocery store (I live rurally, groceries is a 3 hour minimum endeavour) and instead have to buy an external 1kwh battery and deal with the headache that brings.
There also is an Always On 16v feed for a Brake Controller under the dash, driver’s side. It is buried and requires a special cable to connect to It. I used it all the time on my 2018, but I have not yet located it on my 2022. A bigger problem may be making sure your fridge is ok with 16 volts.

Personally, I would just use the accessory outlets. You can activate camp mode remotely from the app, if you forget to, before leaving the vehicle. Automatic door locks are disabled in camp mode, so don’t forget to lock things up when walking away.

Anyone know is this is an issue with the X or is it a software update that disabled it for all models? I used the 12V constantly in my previous 3 last summer with a cooler for a month-long trip (with sentry mode or climate keeper). This is going to be really annoying.
it was a new behavior with the creation of Camp Mode. Before camp mode, there was no reasonably effective way to keep the 13v ports active. Camp mode solved the problem. Camp mode also keeps climate turned on, which may not be needed. But if your application is a running a fridge, that is probably desirable.

This isn't a clown show, this is the whole d*mn circus!

I fortunately have a 2021 model Y which was never planned to be used with my ecooler, it fills a different spot in my life than my 2022 X. After responses on here, I decided to test it, I'm not sure why I didn't in the first place.

Sentry in a 2021 model Y keeps the low voltage sockets alive after leaving the car!!!!!

Yet another way the 3 and Y are better planned out and maintained than the S and X. Re freaking diculous.
Anyone know is this is an issue with the X or is it a software update that disabled it for all models? I used the 12V constantly in my previous 3 last summer with a cooler for a month-long trip (with sentry mode or climate keeper). This is going to be really annoying.
Judging from above test, I'd expect new 3 and Y's to keep having this feature. It seems something which was removed in the plaidium x's and s's. Yet another undercooked feature.

I solved this by using a Jackery power supply that already had.
Yes, I ordered the ecoflow river 2 pro on the night I encounter this problem to 'solve' the regression of the X. I feel really silly having to do this when it's another functionality the Y has over the X, but I don't want to use my Y for my long distance grocery hops and my ecooler would press against the glass in my Y, which wouldn't feel comfy on a long distance journey. First world problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: childcarepro
I solved this by using a Jackery power supply that already had.
I use a similar solution (Bluetti EB3A) for my portable refrigerator. It is kept charged from the 12+V socket while driving and will run the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Don't need to worry about camp mode or sentry mode keeping the socket alive. I've used this on several long trips and it works great.

I use a similar solution (Bluetti EB3A) for my portable refrigerator. It is kept charged from the 12+V socket while driving and will run the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Don't need to worry about camp mode or sentry mode keeping the socket alive. I've used this on several long trips and it works great.
Interedting. So you just leave the battery in the car? How does it handle 100 degree heat? I'm guessing you plug in and unplug the portable fridge as needed because the refrigerator draw would beat the recharge rate? Or no? I'm thinking of getting a smaller refrigerator to live in my subtrunk but I'm currently undecided.

Interedting. So you just leave the battery in the car? How does it handle 100 degree heat? I'm guessing you plug in and unplug the portable fridge as needed because the refrigerator draw would beat the recharge rate? Or no? I'm thinking of getting a smaller refrigerator to live in my subtrunk but I'm currently undecided.
I leave the battery unit plugged into the 12+V socket and the battery is charged when the car is on.
I also leave the refrigerator plugged into the 12V socket on the battery all the time. The refrigerator draws about 45W when running and the duty cycle depends on ambient temperature. Battery in the EB3A is about 260 Wh and I've found it can go a day or more without charging. If I'm staying someplace for longer, I move the refrigerator to keep it running on 120V plug in or take the battery with it and keep it charged from 120V. (The refrigerator can run on 12VDC or 120VAC.)
This is the refrigerator I use. It's small but just fine for our use.

I just tested the trunk area 12v outlet on my 2023 Model X and it does stay active as long as Sentry Mode is on. Turn off Sentry Mode and the 12v goes off. I tested this using an Ecoflow River 2 connected to the 12v rear outlet. The 12v outlet behavior was monitoring using the ecoflow power station app connected to wifi.

Reactions: GazUK67
I just tested the trunk area 12v outlet on my 2023 Model X and it does stay active as long as Sentry Mode is on. Turn off Sentry Mode and the 12v goes off. I tested this using an Ecoflow River 2 connected to the 12v rear outlet. The 12v outlet behavior was monitoring using the ecoflow power station app connected to wifi.
Mine doesn't running 2023.12.9. What software version are you on? I have to be in Camp mode to get it to stay on.

Reactions: ArchHamster
I'll test it again when I next go grocery shopping. I'm on 2023.7.10 now. When I tested it previously it would stay on in sentry for a few minutes with a low load. However, if I set the freezer to zero degrees Fahrenheit (about 60w load) then it would shut off with sentry after about 30 seconds.

This is opposed to the none sentry or camp behavior where it would turn off immediately with the car. Since making this post, I bought a river 2 pro and complained to tesla service center who said they would pass it on so the manual can be updated. I'll be pretty happy if this ends up being an undocumented patch in a recent update. While hauling a portable battery around with my ecooler 'solved' this for me, it feels really silly to do.