Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 NEMA Charger; leave plugged in or unplugged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when not in use is the protocol to leave the adapter and cable plugged into the outlet or unplug it? When mine is plugged in the Tesla letters display a green color which, I’m guessing, is still drawing power even though it’s not plugged into the car. If it’s ok to leave plugged in, then also I am taking a wag at it that it’s barely moving the electric meter needle. See attached image. Thanks for the assist.

Attachments

• 4DFE09B0-D41E-4670-8202-CC532C09B467.jpeg
    4DFE09B0-D41E-4670-8202-CC532C09B467.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 388
So, when not in use is the protocol to leave the adapter and cable plugged into the outlet or unplug it? When mine is plugged in the Tesla letters display a green color which, I’m guessing, is still drawing power even though it’s not plugged into the car. If it’s ok to leave plugged in, then also I am taking a wag at it that it’s barely moving the electric meter needle. See attached image. Thanks for the assist.
As recommended on TMC I leave mine plugged in as much as possible. I unplug when heavy rain or storms are about. I’ve read that multiple in out wears the outlet. Power usage for the UMC text is minimal.

Haven't unplugged it in 4 years

Haven't unplugged it in 4 years
That’s what I figured but just making sure what others are doing or what’s recommended. I’ve read that you always leave it plugged in when garaged but just making sure when leaving do I leave the adapter part plugged in, as pictured from the start of the thread, or unplug. Makes sense to leave it plugged in even if the meter is still ticking a little.

Leave it plugged in. And BTW do you have the make/model of the NEMA 14-50R that was installed? There are the $10 cheap versions with wimpy wire clamps and not so springy fingers, and the $80 Hubbell or Leviton ones that are heavy duty and higher rated (...safer). Searcch these forums for more info.

So, when not in use is the protocol to leave the adapter and cable plugged into the outlet or unplug it?

like davewill mentioned - leave it pugged in. Nema 14-50 outlets are just not designed to be plugged/unplugged a lot. They're designed to be plugged in when you install an appliance and unplugged only on occasion, ie: changing the appliance or moving it to clean or for maint. Of course, if you do plug/unplug a lot, let us know where you live so we can bring the marshmallows. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NuttyM3
like davewill mentioned - leave it pugged in. Nema 14-50 outlets are just not designed to be plugged/unplugged a lot. They're designed to be plugged in when you install an appliance and unplugged only on occasion, ie: changing the appliance or moving it to clean or for maint. Of course, if you do plug/unplug a lot, let us know where you live so we can bring the marshmallows. ;)

Upthread you will see that the OP did buy the recommended heavy duty NEMA 14-50R for his electrician to install--so skip the marshmallows.

But for those folks who might actually be planning to unplug & plug in your Mobile Connector a whole lot, and are worried about the receptacle, then do what I did years ago (...when Superchargers were but a dream)--buy a 2nd MC adapter (of your choice, but likely a NEMA 14-50) from Tesla. Do your disconnects at the Mobile Connector, not the receptacle. The wear and tear is on the Mobile Connector--easier to have Tesla replace under warranty. YMMV.

Reactions: NuttyM3