Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Wall connector over heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far it hasn’t overheated since the replacement with daily charging. I dont have high confidence that it will not fail in the future, especially since they discontinued these units. Makes me assume it is because of this issue with the plugs overheating.

my feelings exactly. At least they have replaced mine three times, but it really makes me wish for a better solution. I’m worried my warranty is going to run out in the next couple months and then I’ll be screwed... $500 in the trash basically unless it can be converted from 14-50 to hardwired for use at my other house under construction.

According to my M3, my mobile connector is overheating when charging during the day in the sun. Prior to this new issue I have been charging daily for 2 years with no issues.

The car chargers at 32A for 20 min thend drops to 16 A, steady for 13 min before dropping to 5A where it stays. The mobile connector is plugged into my up-to-code NEMA 14-50 outdoor receptacle with 100 A gauge copper wiring to a dedicated circuit and 240V breaker. I tried another mobile connector with the same result, I switched to my backup receptacle and it has no issues. I think there is a loose connection in the housing or other issue with the wiring.

I did notice using teslafi that the charge voltage drops from 245 to 230 V steadily right before the current is throttled. Clearly there is resistive heating happening, I wonder if 15V is high or normal. In the past the voltage usually only dropped to 238V.

According to my M3, my mobile connector is overheating when charging during the day in the sun. Prior to this new issue I have been charging daily for 2 years with no issues.

The car chargers at 32A for 20 min thend drops to 16 A, steady for 13 min before dropping to 5A where it stays. The mobile connector is plugged into my up-to-code NEMA 14-50 outdoor receptacle with 100 A gauge copper wiring to a dedicated circuit and 240V breaker. I tried another mobile connector with the same result, I switched to my backup receptacle and it has no issues. I think there is a loose connection in the housing or other issue with the wiring.

I did notice using teslafi that the charge voltage drops from 245 to 230 V steadily right before the current is throttled. Clearly there is resistive heating happening, I wonder if 15V is high or normal. In the past the voltage usually only dropped to 238V.

Yeah, that voltage drop is bad.

I can nearly guarantee that you have a loose connection at the receptacle.

Kill the breaker, test to make sure it is off, and then open it up. There is a good chance you will have to replace the receptacle and you might even have melted insulation off the wire.

• Informative
Reactions: BM3B