Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18’’ vs 19’’ Wheels on Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the world of Tesla, and I am looking at purchasing a Model 3 Long Range new in the UK.

I am more focused on range first then looks, so I wondered what the real word effect on the range is opting for the 19’’ sport wheels rather than the standard 18’’ Aero wheels?

Tesla UK has the 18" as 389 miles (est) and for the 19" as 374 miles (WTLP). We all know real world is you won't get near this, but real world is completely different for everyone so you will likely get a myriad of answers. The direct answer to your question though is adding the 19" wheels take about 4 percent according to Tesla. So if your specific real world is 280 miles on the 18s, you'll likely get 11 miles less with the 19s. If your real world mileage is 320, you'll get 13 miles less.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Tesla UK has the 18" as 389 miles (est) and for the 19" as 374 miles (WTLP). We all know real world is you won't get near this, but real world is completely different for everyone so you will likely get a myriad of answers. The direct answer to your question though is adding the 19" wheels take about 4 percent according to Tesla. So if your specific real world is 280 miles on the 18s, you'll likely get 11 miles less with the 19s. If your real world mileage is 320, you'll get 13 miles less.
That’s really useful, thanks.

The difference is mostly aesthetical. Speed is the most important factor affecting range.
I know that I would not keep those plastic covers on the wheels for a car of that price!!!

I wish Tesla was still offering the grey painted wheels and side chrome like the @jmaddr avatar above.
I don't like too much the new black chrome look and the black wheels because any curb rash is noticeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmaddr
Tesla advertises the EPA rated range. If you drive a Tesla to match the EPA test, it will get the EPA tested range. If you drive slower, like Bjorn did, you will get even more miles. I think he got over 400 miles from a M3 driving around 50 mph.

It's tiresome seeing so many people constantly say that Tesla lies about range; I really think that is not true at all. They advertise range under a very specific condition.....EPA rating. Not Tesla rating, EPA rating. If you drive faster than the EPA criteria, you will get less than the EPA range. If you drive in colder weather then the EPA range test, you will get less range.

To say that Tesla will not achieve EPA rated range is a false statement without clarifying by saying that you if you drive under different conditions, your range won't match the EPA range test.

I bought my M3 in December and in 4,000 miles have averaged 256 Wh/m, which gives about 300 miles of range, compared to an EPA range of 334. 10% loss for cold weather is probably about right. In summer, I'm assuming my consumption will decrease, efficiency will improve, and I will likely closely approximate the EPA rated range. Having said that, I don't drive 85 mph everywhere I go. Anyone who does should not expect to achieve the EPA rated range.

The opposite is true. If Tesla got their rated range when driving 85 mph constantly, then we could say that Tesla is lying about EPA rated range since the car should NOT get that much mileage in those driving conditions, only under EPA driving conditions.

Inside EV's got 310 miles from a 75kWh pack M3 when driving at a constant 70 mph......WAY faster than the EPA range test conditions. This means that an 82 kWh car should go about 30 miles further based on additional 7 kW capacity. This is quite close to EPA rated range despite driving at a much faster speed.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I am new to the world of Tesla, and I am looking at purchasing a Model 3 Long Range new in the UK.

I am more focused on range first then looks, so I wondered what the real word effect on the range is opting for the 19’’ sport wheels rather than the standard 18’’ Aero wheels?

Wheels in an of themselves have very little impact on range. It is the tires on them that have big effects, and at larger wheel sizes your options for economical tires goes down. There are aero designed wheels which have a small improvement in range, but you can get those in almost any size, and most Tesla wheels are partially aero to begin with.

~90% of the range difference on the Tesla website when you change wheels options is due to the tire change, not the wheel.