Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 inch tire psi question potential issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I know there are a lot of threads on tire psi but I could not find the answer to my question exactly.

I have a LR with 19inch wheels. Several months ago maybe around November I got the low tire pressure warning. So I added air to my tires. The warning went away. The tires were around 45psi.

When I drove the car and the tires heated up the psi would increase to around 47psi. However, now that the temps are getting warmer in addition to the tires heating up when driving the psi hovers around 49psi. I tired to release some air in all of the tires so I got them down to like 47psi when the tires are warm.

Is it ok to drive on tire pressure that is so high?

Thank you

The maximum pressure for your tires is on the sidewalls. You shouldn't be adjusting tire pressure when the tires are warm, just use the recommended "cold" pressure, which means room temperature, whatever that is. The recommended and max pressures account for the fact that pressure increases when you drive.

The below link is to the recommend tire pressure on type of tire you have. To verify proper tire pressure, only check pressure in the morning before car has been driven and right before sun up. Even sun rising with give you faults reading on cold tire pressure.

The one tire you had a low warning on needs to be observed. There is always a possibility of a potential nail or just a slow leak. Most Discount tire shops can look at it and repair most of the time for free.

I have a LR with 19inch wheels. Several months ago maybe around November I got the low tire pressure warning. So I added air to my tires. The warning went away. The tires were around 45psi.

When I drove the car and the tires heated up the psi would increase to around 47psi. However, now that the temps are getting warmer in addition to the tires heating up when driving the psi hovers around 49psi. I tired to release some air in all of the tires so I got them down to like 47psi when the tires are warm.

This is very normal.

Is it ok to drive on tire pressure that is so high?

OK is a relative term.
You don't want to exceed the tire's max pressure, and the ride quality will take a hit when the tires are over-inflated.
It's a regular right of passage with car ownership - you add air to the tires in the fall/winter, and you bleed the air out in the spring/summer. If you track your car, the above cycle repeats before/after each track session ;-).

HTH,
a